Steroid tablets, how long will they work for?

Options
Crazycatlady007
Crazycatlady007 Member Posts: 5
I have been prescribed a 9 day course of pred from the doctor after my injection didn't work. Does anyone know if the inflammatory effect will last after I have stopped taking them?

Thank you in advance

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi crazycatlady
    Welcome to the forum,we are all here to help when we can. Everyone on the forum has Arthritis of some sort and are friendly and welcoming. There are a few forums Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat being the most popular
    All the best Christine
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,493
    Options
    Hi Crazycatlady007

Thank you for your forum post, I’m sorry to hear that your injection didn’t work, and you have now been prescribed Prednisolone.
    As we are not medically trained on the helpline, the person best placed to answer your query regarding the ‘inflammatory effect’ would be your medical professional.

For more responses to your post you may like to repost on our ‘living with arthritis’ forum: https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=8

If at any point you would like to talk to us, please call on our helpline:
    0800 520 0520 (weekdays 9am – 8pm)

Best wishes
    Lynda
    Helpline Advisor
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    They will work for as long as you take them. They do not address the root cause of the problem, they merely mask what is going on. Steroids of any kind are not targeted, it matters not where the injection is done etc. because they affect the whole body, thinning every tissue we have.

With such a short course of tablets you won't have the moon face or other issues, they can happen when one is on them long-term: I took a small daily dose for three years, weaning myself off was one of the best things I have ever done for my health even though it meant confronting the reality of my arthritis: that had to be done. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben