trapeziectomy

Hangfire
Hangfire Member Posts: 3
edited 23. Dec 2018, 14:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I'm due to see a surgeon in the new year, the proposal being to carry out a trapeziectomy to both my right and left hand. However I don't know anyone who has had this operation and wondered if anyone online has, and if so could you let me know the results. The idea of having a bone removed without an implant to replace it seems drastic and must have drawbacks.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi hangfire
    Welcome to the forum I personally have never had a trapeziectomy,but you have come to the right place to find out as this forum has plenty of people with Arthritis of all kinds and have had various operations. You will find that people on the forums are friendly and welcoming and understanding and knowledgeable. Just chat on a forum and get started Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat being the most popular.
    All the best Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I know that many have had them but they don't hang around to post after they're fixed - a good sign! I hope your operation goes well, be patient with the recovery time because it always takes longer than people want or think and it is very easy to undo the surgeons good work by doing too much too soon. I remember one lady set everything back by a good two months because she thought she was indispensable at work.

There are many threads on Say Hello board about trapeziectomies, if you look through you will soon see how many post once or twice then never again, I hope you will be included in that number. Good luck! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi :D I think, as DD says, people who have had trapeziectomies don't tend to hang around much as it's an operation that usually provides excellent results.

I've looked up some previous threads on it but, when reading, do bear in mind that people normally post on here only when they have problems not when all is going well.

Good luck and I do hope it helps.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • premierscfc04
    premierscfc04 Member Posts: 57
    edited 15. Dec 2018, 11:12
    Hi Hangfire, I had a trapeziectomy on my right hand about 8 years ago now, prior to the operation I was getting constant pain in the thumb joint and I decided to take the plunge. The op was done as a daycase and it was very uncomfortable for the first 24hrs after which it started to improve.
    I was unable to drive for 6 weeks which was the only drawback, I bought some hand exercise gel balls which I used to bring some strength back into my thumb. I'm pleased to say that I have had no pain or issues with this joint since and I can recommend it.
    I'm now having the same problem with my left hand and would not hesitate to have another trapeziectomy done on it.
    Hope this helps.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    All about Hand & Wrist surgery, including trapeziectomy plus a fact sheet you can download on the subject :D

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/surgery/hand-and-wrist-surgery/

Hope you find this helpful. Do come back and let us know how you get on.
    Brynmor
  • Hangfire
    Hangfire Member Posts: 3
    Hi Hangfire, I had a trapeziectomy on my right hand about 8 years ago now, prior to the operation I was getting constant pain in the thumb joint and I decided to take the plunge. The op was done as a daycase and it was very uncomfortable for the first 24hrs after which it started to improve.
    I was unable to drive for 6 weeks which was the only drawback, I bought some hand exercise gel balls which I used to bring some strength back into my thumb. I'm pleased to say that I have had no pain or issues with this joint since and I can recommend it.
    I'm now having the same problem with my left hand and would not hesitate to have another trapeziectomy done on it.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks, that's good to know, I work with my hands and was concerned what sought of grip I'd be left with after the op. Unfortunately it's both my hands that need attention hence the concern.