Anyone had Costocondritis

Lizzie62
Lizzie62 Member Posts: 5
edited 11. Dec 2018, 14:54 in Say Hello Archive
Hi I'm Lizzie.I've had arthritis for about 30 years. I feel Ive collected different bits of arthritis like other people collect stamps.
It started in my big toes which have now saved me the bother of an operation,as the joints have fused themselves.
Having suffered migraines for years my neck was xrayed and it showed a herniated disc and facet joint problems.
Moving on an mri showed DDD in my lower spine.
Recently xrays have confirmed osteoarthritis in both hips and my sacroiliac joint.
About a month ago I started with a stiffness around my rib cage..The doctor thinks this is Costocondritis and optimistically thinks it will settle down... Or is this just my latest addition to the collection.?

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Lizzie

Good to meet you :)

Lots of us have or have had bouts of Costochondritis honestly it comes up quite often on here. I have had it myself a fair few times and I am fortunate it has always settled down considerably. If I press my sternum now it hurts a bit, but not much.

I put Costochondritis into the search button (green bit close to the top of this page towards the right handside and got loads of hits! Bear in mind we don't always spell it right though!!

I don't know if you've read this?

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/costochondritis/

Take care

Toni xx
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi Lizzie,

Welcome to the forum. I love your turn of phrase, stamp collecting, very suitable even though stamp collecting is so safe and gentle.

So now it’s your ribs joining in. I’ve read the information from the nhs website

And it does have 'wear and tear' as one of a number of causes so it is possibly osteoarthritis, it’s suggested heat can bring some relief, as can anti inflammatory medications.

Do take care and please let us know how you get on, now you’ve made the first step by joining our forum take a look at the other areas/threads and join in wherever you feel comfortable- looking forward to chatting soon

Yvonne x
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Good morning Toni, great minds ... Yvonne
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, costochondroitis is a common occurrence on here, in fact a member called Mig has just been diagnosed - she has a thread on the Living With Arthritis board on here. My breastbone has been tender for years, if I don't press it it doesn't hurt so I keep forgetting to mention it to rheumatology or my GP. I have psoriatic and osteoarthritis plus fibromyalgia, I began back in 1997 so have a few years of experience under my belt: it's not much fun, is it? I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Lizzie62
    moderator wrote:
    Hi Lizzie,

Welcome to the forum. I love your turn of phrase, stamp collecting, very suitable even though stamp collecting is so safe and gentle.

So now it’s your ribs joining in. I’ve read the information from the nhs website

And it does have 'wear and tear' as one of a number of causes so it is possibly osteoarthritis, it’s suggested heat can bring some relief, as can anti inflammatory medications.

Do take care and please let us know how you get on, now you’ve made the first step by joining our forum take a look at the other areas/threads and join in wherever you feel comfortable- looking forward to chatting soon

Yvonne x

Hi Yvonne,
    Thank you for your kind sharing..As soon as the medics use that phrase 'wear and tear ' my heart always sinks.Its really good to browse on this site though,and chat to others.As I cannot take anti inflammatories I rely a lot on heat therapy..it's wonderful.My physio will also try ultrasound next week..The doc mentioned 'calcification' so I'm very hopeful. Thanks again for your concern.Lizzie62
  • Lizzie62
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Lizzie

Good to meet you :)

Lots of us have or have had bouts of Costochondritis honestly it comes up quite often on here. I have had it myself a fair few times and I am fortunate it has always settled down considerably. If I press my sternum now it hurts a bit, but not much.

I put Costochondritis into the search button (green bit close to the top of this page towards the right handside and got loads of hits! Bear in mind we don't always spell it right though!!

I don't know if you've read this?

Take care

Toni xx

Hi Toni
    Thanks for that info.I've had a browse,and its great to meet other people on here with similar issues.Thank you so much for sharing.
    Lizzie62
  • Lizzie62
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello, costochondroitis is a common occurrence on here, in fact a member called Mig has just been diagnosed - she has a thread on the Living With Arthritis board on here. My breastbone has been tender for years, if I don't press it it doesn't hurt so I keep forgetting to mention it to rheumatology or my GP. I have psoriatic and osteoarthritis plus fibromyalgia, I began back in 1997 so have a few years of experience under my belt: it's not much fun, is it? I wish you well. DD

Hi DreamDaisy
    Thank you so much for your reassurance.It is so good to hear of other peoples experiences,Ill certainly check Migs thread out.
    Thanks again
    Lizzie62