Reflection: an infection in my joint

Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 12. Dec 2018, 05:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
I’d really appreciate any advice from people who’ve had a prosthetic joint removed due to infection, if there is anyone on here...? I fluctuate between being pragmatic and being absolutely hysterical. Mostly though, I’m somewhere in between.

I had both jaw joints replaced in June 2017 and it looks like my left one is infected. The only treatment is to remove the joint, replace it with a temporary thing for a few months to and then to insert a new one. It’s 2 major operations and given my complications after the initial op, I’m terrified. I’m in agony and not sleeping due to pain as lying down seems to make it worse. This certainly isn’t helping my emotional state. I have lost month function, I can only open my mouth half as much as I could a few weeks ago, I am on soft foods as I can’t chew and I am swollen. As I have an infected lymph node, the jaw problems may be a reaction to that, so they’ve put me on antibiotics and suggested waiting a few weeks to see if things improve. I am trying to be optimistic but my surgeon gave the impression he thinks it’s a joint infection.

Please keep your fingers (metaphorically) crossed for me.

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh my goodness, that's a real blow I'm sure. I hope the antibiotics will solve the problem, presumably they're giving you something powerful. Sending hugs ((((( ))))).

Deb xx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    I’m so sorry to read this ,I can remember when you had it done ,let’s hope the antibiotics help,Hugs (((()))) mig
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Oh no, so hope the antibiotics do the trick and sort everything out.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh Sophie, oh lots of naughty words. In all my years on here I cannot recall another person having this issue, I am so sorry. I hope that your docs and surgeon can sort things out ASAP and that you are back to being your usual, upbeat self. ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Oh bilhooks and all the words DD used. I'm so sorry. You must feel dreadful.

All I can contribute - which is minimal - is to say I was once in hospital with a lady who had had to have a THR removed due to infection. I was amazed that she could still walk but she could.

I well remember (How could I forget?) all that happened after the joint replacement. The only words of consolation I have is that they will now be taking the utmost care to ensure nothing of the sort happens again.

((( )))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello, I am thinking of you. DD
  • Starburst
    Thank you, as always, for the support.

I’m at the end of my tether tonight. I had rheum nurse appointment today which meant I worked late to make up the missed hours. My haemoglobin is still dropping. This means I can’t start long term antibiotics to prevent bladder infections as apparently it can make you even more anaemic. Neurology want rheumatology’s agreement on starting steroids for MG but rheumatology want a bone density scan first. I’ve been referred for a scan because my glands on both side are inflamed. Is this related to the jaw problem or not, who knows? More bloods to see if there is a cause of the anaemia which means I have to trek to the hospital on my day off because my GP surgery have a month wait and I’ve been told this is urgent.

I have a temperature but I absolutely need to get to work tomorrow. I’m on antibiotics anywU.I only slept 5 hours last night. I am on the verge of tears all the time. This is exhausting on every level. I was doing ok for a while, I want to get back there.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Just sending hugs (((((( )))))). Really hope that things come together so that you can move forward. Take good care of yourself.

Deb xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    ((((( )))))

I can think of nothing, of any value, to say. You are in a horrible situation and I just hope someone can sort something out for you asap.

Do you really have to go into work? Can any of your clients be in more need than you yourself right now?

((((( )))))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Oh Sophie, it's horrid when health conditions mean we overlap hospital departments, each working to a different norm/agenda. You're the one who has to juggle all the balls being chucked at you by life and no wonder you are feeling as you do: no sooner do you sort one thing than another begins. :roll: Damn and blast. :x DD
  • Starburst
    I went to work and I’ll continue on as best as I can. It distracted me from my negative thoughts. I snoozed on the sofa after work then cried a lot.

Part of me thinks I should see my GP for an increase in my anti-Ds but while I am depressed, it’s reactive to my life situation, so I’m not sure if a higher dose will help. I’m not even sure how to help myself some days, so I distract myself by doing my job which helps others and gives me a sense of satisfaction.

Just trying to keep my head above water by reminding myself of what’s good in my life and all the fun things I have coming up. Thank you for letting my vent and being there for me xx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Really admire you for trying to get on with your life despite all its throwing at you. Hugs (((()))) Mig
  • mermaid
    mermaid Member Posts: 104
    Dear Starburst, so very sorry you are having to deal with all this. Working as well puts a huge strain on you, though as you say it can be a distraction.
    I had an infected shoulder prosthesis 8 years ago. Had a lump under my arm for a year which then developed cellulitis around it after rituximab infusions. Had it incised and drained on Christmas Eve and it continued draining profusely for six months, being packed and dressed every day by nurses until the offending septic shoulder prosthesis (which had been in place for 20 years) was removed along with infected bones. Was on intravenous antibiotics for months. They put a cement spacer in the shoulder which is still there eight years on. Movement restricted but not too painful. Don't think they are going to put another metal joint in, I'm full of them including plates and rods in upper spine anyway! Long term antibiotics didn't help my system and surgery should have taken place earlier but it's water under the bridge now. Original surgery and still followed up at RNOH Stanmore.
    I wish you loads of luck and know how painful the jaw problems are. Hope you are under a good MFU department.
    Do try to rest when you can as you and your body are fighting hard. Take good care xx