Insurance

Options
jennand
jennand Member Posts: 131
edited 11. Dec 2018, 05:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
We recently had a no fault car accident ( really lucky, a huge lorry moved into our lane and crushed our car. How my husband, who was driving, wasn’t crushed too, well, I’m shaking just thinking about it.) Anyway, after informing our insurers I got the documents out & noticed that in the full schedule it says No declared medical conditions for both of us. At the time we took the policy out, that was correct but since then I now have RA and take 3 medications and he had open heart surgery and takes medication. Neither of us have been advised not to drive or to inform DVLA. I’m worried now, that if we had to claim for any injuries ( which thankfully we don’t at present) in the future, this would affect our policy. My question really is , do we need to inform insurers when RA is diagnosed? I do declare it on travel insurance but they always say it doesn’t affect the premiums. My husband conditions, however, does and they bump the premiums up.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have always kept my insurers informed, I am registered with them as a disabled driver (the same with my recovery service). To me it was a no-brainer, I did not want any aspect of my fully-comprehensive insurance to be compromised by non-disclosure of medications etc. which could be used against me in any incidents.

That sounds like a nasty accident, I am pleased that neither you or your husband were injured. DD.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Something I'd never thought of but then I only learned to drive after many years of RA and with an adapted car (handbrake and foot pedals) so my document actually stated that I was only licensed to drive 'any car I could drive' :(:lol:

I think the only way to be sure is to contact your insurers. I always hate giving them an excuse to bump up the price but, on the other hand, it's better than not being insured after an accident.

Thanks for the heads up.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    I would also say take it up with the insurers - after all you don't really want to find that the answer is 'no you are not covered' when you come to make a claim.
  • jennand
    jennand Member Posts: 131
    Options
    I had a word with a friend who works in the insurance business. She told me that the phrase tends to mean that you have to inform them if you have a condition that the DVLA needs to be informed about. Under the title of “ arthritis” on the DVLA website, it states that you must do this if you need to use special controls in order to drive. Hubbys condition states they don’t need to be informed. I suppose it’s all matter of what you are comfortable with.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It's a grey area: after my mum had a TIA and her vision was affected she was never told she could not drive . . . . She didn't because she was never a confident driver but if she had, and caused an accident, who knows what could have happened? When it comes to health matters I have always been a belt-and-braces girl, tell everybody everything because people never pass on information, even if they should. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben