Hello I'm new here

Options
Emziebell91
Emziebell91 Member Posts: 5
edited 15. Dec 2018, 09:09 in Say Hello Archive
Hey I am Emma. I am 27 and recently been diagnosed with atheritis of my lumber spine. They never took me serious until it started to become painful to walk. I also have slipped discs in this area and the doctors have told me there isn't anything they can do for me due to medication conflicting and allergies. I can't get out of the house much anymore. A walk to the shops wears me out and if I ever have a time when I am not in pain I am fast asleep within moments. I feel pretty useless.

Anyway thanks for reading

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Emma,
    Welcome to the forum.
    Sorry to hear that you are in so much pain and are so rapidly exhausted.
    I'm posting a link to the section of the Versus Arthritis website that deals with back pain. There is also a booklet that can be downloaded. Much of it may not be relevant to you and you may well know most of it anyway but I'm posting it just in case there's anything there of use to you.
    https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/back-pain/#Exercises-to-manage-back-pain
    Have you received any advice about exercises & movement from your doctor or been referred to a physiotherapist? It would definitely be worth asking to be referred to a physiotherapist if you haven't already - to work on strengthening and stabilising what you have and to find strategies to deal with specific movement difficulties.
    Hopefully there may be people with personal experience in this area who can come along and share their experiences.
    If you would like to speak with someone there is also our Helpline, on 0800 5200 520. It's open Monday - Friday, 9am - 8pm.
    All good wishes to you, do ask away on here if you have any questions or just want to vent how you're feeling.
    Ann
  • Emziebell91
    Options
    Thank you for your advice. To be honest he wasn't happy about them sending me for an mri scan but when I went for my x-ray the consultant there insisted on an mri. Apparently I am too young to have atheritis and he wasn't too impressed when the results came back. He has literally dine nothing. He gave me forms that I have to drop off at my local hospital for physiotherapy knowing all too well I can't actually get there. Nothing else has been advice only that he say "he cannot do anything for me"
    I feel rest abandoned and I have to resort to using a crutch now to help me walk. Don't get me wrong it really hurts my hands and arm but helps me to stay standing and walking as much as I physically can.
    I feel really abandoned by my doctors just to get on with it myself.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Children as young as 18 months can have arthritis, admittedly not osteoarthritis (OA) but certainly an auto-immune kind. GPs know a little about a lot but even now some are unaware that people in their twenties are beginning OA. I don't feel abandoned by my docs because they are doing all they can but, after twenty plus years I am used to it all and don't need to see them. I have psoriatic arthritis, an auto-immune kind where my body attacks itself and the joint damage from that has led to OA: some joints have one, some the other and others both.

It can be very disheartening not to be believed but we have to keep badgering - arm yourself with knowledge and information from the VA site, print off what you can to show to people. Nobody - absolutely nobody - is too young for this disease but people who should know better persist in thinking it is only for the old. I began aged 37, it was no surprise as I was born with eczema and went on to develop asthma but I remember the OA diagnosis being a shock, I thought you had either rheumatoid or osteoarthritis, I never knew that both was a possibility. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Emziebell91
    Options
    The first doctor i saw sent me for an x-ray for osteoatheritis. He was lovely and understanding. Then I went back to my usual doctor and he just said I have atheritis. I am now just assuming that it is osteoatheritis becuase that's what they where looking for but I havnt been told what type. Just that it's in my lumber spine.

dreamdaisy wrote:
    Children as young as 18 months can have arthritis, admittedly not osteoarthritis (OA) but certainly an auto-immune kind. GPs know a little about a lot but even now some are unaware that people in their twenties are beginning OA. I don't feel abandoned by my docs because they are doing all they can but, after twenty plus years I am used to it all and don't need to see them. I have psoriatic arthritis, an auto-immune kind where my body attacks itself and the joint damage from that has led to OA: some joints have one, some the other and others both.

It can be very disheartening not to be believed but we have to keep badgering - arm yourself with knowledge and information from the VA site, print off what you can to show to people. Nobody - absolutely nobody - is too young for this disease but people who should know better persist in thinking it is only for the old. I began aged 37, it was no surprise as I was born with eczema and went on to develop asthma but I remember the OA diagnosis being a shock, I thought you had either rheumatoid or osteoarthritis, I never knew that both was a possibility. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    I'm afraid people often tell us on here that their docs don't seem interested in their OA. I think that's because they can't actually do much other than prescribe pills, refer us to Pain Clinics or surgeons if it's really bad or send us for physio. Physio is really helpful. It keeps our supporting muscles strong. I can't imagine where I'd be now without my exercises. We can also help ourselves by eating a healthy diet, keeping to a healthy weight and not smoking.

Why can't you get to your hospital for physio? Most hospitals will provide an ambulance for anyone who can't use public transport. Or, could a friend help with a lift?

Versus Arthritis has some very useful exercises and dietary advice here https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis .Have a look :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Emziebell91
    Options
    The hospital is very Much out of the way for me. It's only self referrals in my area. I don't really have much of a support network anymore. I also care for my two autistic children which makes it a struggle to get places. I would have preferred to be referred to a pain clinic to learn to manage my pain better. I have always been a healthy eater but unfortunately losing weight is a fighting battle for me. My anti consultant (I am also epileptic) cause havoc with my weight. When ever I ask for anything from my doctors they always say they will consider it in their next review.

I'm afraid people often tell us on here that their docs don't seem interested in their OA. I think that's because they can't actually do much other than prescribe pills, refer us to Pain Clinics or surgeons if it's really bad or send us for physio. Physio is really helpful. It keeps our supporting muscles strong. I can't imagine where I'd be now without my exercises. We can also help ourselves by eating a healthy diet, keeping to a healthy weight and not smoking.

Why can't you get to your hospital for physio? Most hospitals will provide an ambulance for anyone who can't use public transport. Or, could a friend help with a lift?

Versus Arthritis has some very useful exercises and dietary advice here https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis .Have a look :D
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    It will be hard for you with two autistic children. I found it hard with two non-autistic ones.

I'm sorry but I can't quite follow your last post.

If it's only self-referrals for physio can't you just self-refer?

I also can't make sense of "My anti consultant (I am also epileptic) cause havoc with my weight. " Could you clarify that, please?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright