Hello

Options
VanessaB
VanessaB Member Posts: 4
edited 19. Dec 2018, 05:46 in Say Hello Archive
I’m looking for advice please. I’ve recently been diagnosed with osteoarthritis via my GP but only had an X-ray on one finger although following diagnosis I told the GP that I suspect it is also in my knee and hip. GP has basically told me there is nothing that can be done until I need new joints and told me to try glucosamine sulphate 1500msg, which has helped a little. I am physically active 4/5 times a week. Is it true nothing can be done? TIA

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello VanessaB and welcome to the forums from the moderation team.

I am very sorry to hear about your diagnosis of osteoarthritis in your finger and your GP’s opinion that it may also be in your hip and knee. Some people do find glucosamine eases things for them I am very pleased to read it is helping you a little.

There is plenty which can be done for Osteoarthritis and you are already doing one – keeping active. Some people find heat helps, (a warm wheat-bag on the sore area), others prefer cool, (an icepack wrapped in a tea-towel). Painkillers and anti-inflammatories can also ease things.

We have a great community here, with lots of experience of arthritis, who I know will make you very welcome and help in any way they can, but in the meantime I hope the following link will help you:

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/223-living-with-osteoarthritis

I look forward to seeing you posting in future.

Best wishes

Ellen.
  • VanessaB
    Options
    Thank you Ellen - I will check out the link
  • VanessaB
    Options
    moderator wrote:
    Hello VanessaB and welcome to the forums from the moderation team.

I am very sorry to hear about your diagnosis of osteoarthritis in your finger and your GP’s opinion that it may also be in your hip and knee. Some people do find glucosamine eases things for them I am very pleased to read it is helping you a little.

There is plenty which can be done for Osteoarthritis and you are already doing one – keeping active. Some people find heat helps, (a warm wheat-bag on the sore area), others prefer cool, (an icepack wrapped in a tea-towel). Painkillers and anti-inflammatories can also ease things.

We have a great community here, with lots of experience of arthritis, who I know will make you very welcome and help in any way they can, but in the meantime I hope the following link will help you:

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/223-living-with-osteoarthritis

I look forward to seeing you posting in future.

Best wishes

Ellen.

Thank you Ellen- I will check out the link
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Yup, that's about it. I have OA in both ankles, both knees and both hips; elsewhere too. Mine is as a result of my the joint damage caused by my other arthritis, some joints have one, some the other and others both. There are around ten million arthritics in the UK with the majority having OA: it's ubiquity does not work in its favour. GPs have limited options purely due to the nature of the disease, they can prescribe pain relief, maybe an anti-inflammatory medication and a course of physio but it is a matter of getting on with things until a sufficient level of damage is reached before referral for surgery.

Before people become affected by arthritis they do not know enough about its character: they incorrectly associate it with the elderly and completely underestimate the devastating effect it can have on the quality of life. I'm used to mine (after twenty two years there would be little point still seething with resentment) and completely reconciled to the fact it will never get better, never be cured. I am firmly of the opinion that the fewer the number of affected joints the more the pain and discomfort stands out, arthritis was always on the cards for me but if you are new to it then it is so much harder.

Take the glucosamine, cod liver oil, vitamin D, none of them will harm if taken as recommended and they might help to alleviate some of the discomfort. They will not cure the disease but might slow its progress.
    Exercise is important too, non-weight bearing is best as it helps to keep the muscles surrounding the joints stronger to be better able to support the joint: this can reduce pain levels albeit by a very small amount. OA a very straightforward condition to diagnose and manage but it can have a mighty impact on life. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Hello and welcome but sorry to hear of your diagnosis. It's true that GPs can't do a lot for OA. It's more about what we can do for ourselves. If you read here https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis there are lots of ways in which we can help ourselves.

GPs can provide pain relief though. It sounds as if yours feels you'd be better of without it right now. Pain relief does have its downside. We get tolerant of the straight 'painkillers' (That's a misnomer :lol: ) and, if taking anti-inflammatories for any length of time, we need a stomach-protecting med to counteract their effects on the stomach. However, sometimes we need these things and they can be essential at times. But, if you can manage without them, that would be better still.

It will be very hard on you if you're used to a very active life. We really need to exercise our arthritic joints but we need to do so in a way that won't damage them further. Swimming and cycling are recommended. Has your GP suggested you see a physio? (That's another thing that GPs can do.) It might help to have expert, tailored advice as to what will / won't help. Unfortunately waiting lists tend to be long so, when I feel I need one these days I pay. Often one session is enough.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright