Hello to you all

Teresafel
Teresafel Member Posts: 2
edited 20. Dec 2018, 07:37 in Say Hello Archive
Hello , I’m new on here , I’m desperate to get to know some others who are suffering with this terrible pain . I’m 45 and I’ve had surgery on my right shoulder from arthritis and I’ve suffered decades of pain . I’m sounding like a whinge I’m not I just want to sound out to others that understand . It’s not visible so to others they don’t understand then internal pain . I have degenerated discs in my cervical and lumber parts of spine . I have Raynaurds and I’ve had enough . Bloody hell sorry what a moan huh . Well I’ve put it out their x

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Teresafel,
    Welcome to the forum. Sorry to here you are in such pain and that it's getting you down. I'm sure you'll find plenty of others on here who can share in and empathise with your experiences. I've got Raynaud's which is really flaring up in this cold weather - roll on Spring! You probably know all this info anyway, but I was reading through the section on Raynaud's on the Versus Arthritis website a few days ago and finding it useful:
    https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/raynauds-phenomenon/
    Likewise, I'm sure you've probably explored options to help you manage your pain many times already, but this page on Versus Arthritis may be worth looking at: https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/managing-your-pain/
    Feel free to ask away on here if you have any questions and there is also a telephone helpline 0800 5200 520, which is open Mon - Fri 9am-8pm. (however it will be closed over Christmas from 2pm Christmas Eve until 2nd January).
    Best wishes,
    Ann
  • JoeB
    JoeB Bots Posts: 83
    It is 2018 - almost 2019. Irrespective of underlying cause no one should experience pain in the 21st century. There exist a plethora of options available to the clinician to manage the problem. As a bonus most of them are very cheap.

I hope that you get it resolved and soon.

Arthur
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Hello Teresafel and welcome from me, too. Well, you've come to the right place to meet up with other people with arthritis :D There are a lot of us here with various forms of the disease. Mine is RA and OA. I'm guessing yours is OA. Plus the Raynauds, of course.

This is the perfect place to 'let it all out' because we all understand the frustrations of arthritis and the not wanting to bang on about it to our nearest and dearest.

You don't mention which, if any, meds you take. Pain relief sometimes has to be tweaked but personally I find my OA only has a real go at me if I've done too much which, at this time of year, we are all guilty of :roll: Prioritising tasks to be done and factoring in rest periods can help a lot. (It's a case of 'do as I say, not as I do' :wink: Anyway, please stick around and join in anywhere. The natives on here are friendly :lol:

Hello and welcome to you, too, Arthur. You don't say which type(s) of arthritis you have nor how you have managed to eradicate the pain. I'm sure many, if not everyone on here would be interested though I confess that, after 57 years of arthritis, I struggle to believe that it is possible to eradicate the pain. Short of general anaesthesia anyway :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I am sorry you have had to find us. Pain is part-and-parcel of the disease, we all feel it to varying degrees and deal with it in different ways but we are all in it. I think it's more apparent when not many joints are affected, when we are tired, when life is generally going against us with non-arthritis-related matters but it is always there, twanging away, reminding us that our disease has no cure.

I am in the twenty second year of the nonsense, I began with an auto-immune kind in 1997 then in 2011 osteoarthritis was diagnosed. I still have my original joints and plan to keep them because I cannot cope with the notion of dealing with reduced pain - or worst, no pain - which would only draw attention to the rest. It affects my life but only as much as I choose to let it: there are times when I will cede to its outrageous demands but only so I can boot it back into touch more quickly.

For pain relief I take 30/500 cocodamol, keeping it to the minimum so I have room to maneouvre when things worsen. I flirted with the stronger stuff in my early days and, as it did nothing in terms of dealing with the pain for any length of time decided to be hurting and alert rather than not hurting and unable to hold a conversation. We are all different in how we cope and what we do but we all need the chance to moan which is where the forum comes in handy. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben