Sepsis

JamesFoote
JamesFoote Member Posts: 86
edited 10. Jan 2019, 11:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been on here for a few years now.
I have problems with my neck and was told they could not operate because of the risk of paralysis if me.
I got on with life, good days and bad days as we all know.
On the 11th November I went to bed as normal and all was ok until I woke around 4am. I was so cold, a cuddle next to my wife did not work so I go up and put my sweats on and this still did not work. Out of bed and down stairs things started to go really bad I had a lot of pain in my upper chest so I decided to ring 111. An ambulance was dispatched because they thought I was having a heart attack but this was not the case the ECG told the crew. My heart was 170 to 180 and very low blood pressure. I was very confused at this time and the crew Sid for the first time “I think this could be sepsis. I walked to the ambulance and sat in one of the seat but this was not to last, they pulled up and helped me on the bed, now to be honest things are really lost to me here and very patchy. I remember the blue lights but no idea how I got into the hospital bed. I remember how big this room was much bigger than normal A&E, it turned out I was in RESUS. I remember the X-ray and a doctor telling my wife I did not have an hour to wait for the blood results. I was 12 hours in there even though a bed in critical care was there for me. I was in critical care for 5 day and then was sent home with instructions not to get an infection for 3 months and care taken for 12 months, how are you surpose to do this.
I had a number of doctors visit me at home and then 2 weeks after getting home I got a chest infection. I was given amoxicillin and I had a very dangerous reaction to this and my colitis. To be fair the doctor was not to know and the NHS jumped on this right away and gave me all the help I needed. It turns out that the 37 lots of antibiotics I had in hospital had killed all the bacteria in my gut, not good for some one with colitis,
Christmas has been fun, food has been a problem and my emotions are all over the place, I don’t like being around people but when I was I was asked what was my best Christmas present.
My Life was my answer.
When my arthritis hurts and boy can it hurt I have been remembering my last line, you have to be alive to feel pain.
I hope you all had a great Christmas

James

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    God bless the NHS,I hope things continue to get better for you.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    That sounds very unpleasant and very scary, James. I was once in resus and hope not to repeat the experience :wink: I hope you can stay germ-free for as long as it takes. As someone with a supressed immune system (autoimmune arthritis) I recommend frequent hand washes and antibac gel and that you insist that anyone visiting (a)doesn't have a cold and (b)does the same.

Was it connected to your arthritis or not?

Stay safe.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    That must have been very scary. It's not easy dealing with doctors who don't know you as you have to keep telling people the same things over and over - have you got a note in your wallet that details your conditions, meds etc.? If not, now might be a good time to put one together, it might save an awful lot of future trouble.

As for the avoiding bugs things, it's nothing new for us auto-immuners and nothing to think about for those who aren't until this kind of thing happens. People do not learn by experience and fear being 'rude' if refusing invitations or not welcoming sudden guests who arrive with a streaming colds. There is a time and place for manners and one can be polite in telling others to bog off and keep their filth to themselves. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • JamesFoote
    Thank you to you all.

they said the sepsis started from my colitis but to be honest we will never know.

my gut is giving me a lot of problems right now so started the kefir each day so i really hope that works if not back to the hospital i think

i do have my pain management diary, this helps me keep my pain meds as low as i can.

James
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Hi James , I was lucky last year with Sepsis , had problems with Cellulitis & leg ulcers , I was lucky as had to see a district nurse & was not well & told I either had heart or kidney failure & she thought I had sepsis .

similar story to you in critical care for 5 days on dialysis , I was lucky & so are you , I knew very little about sepsis before , those of us with arthritis are at risk , I was on intravenous antibiotics for week

but got away with it , kidney good but used up one of my nine lives , things will settle but it will take time & look after yourself
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'm sorry. I'd forgotten you had colitis. Yes, that makes sense though not much comfort to you. I do hope things remain improved. Let's hope 2019 is a better year for you. newyear02
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • JamesFoote
    Thanks chaps.

I have talked to a number of people today including my fellow councillors and all have said my voice it a lot stronger.
    There is a road to travel and I will be fine just need to get my vitamin D up and get my gut working which is my biggest problem but hay if that is all I cannot complain

James
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Is yoghurt any help with the gut bacteria?
  • JamesFoote
    Sorry taking time to reply been sleeping a lot.

Not yogurt no I make up Kifer as this is the best probiotic there is and cheep as chips to make
    James