Tea light spinners.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 5. Jan 2019, 03:42 in Community Chit-chat archive
I'm sure you know what I mean, the thin metal themed decorative things that, when a tea light is fired up, spin the decorations hanging from the upper bladed spinner which is balanced on a point connected to the bottom dish that holds the candle. I have a number of these and not one of them works continually or successfully. Does anyone know why this is or how to remedy them? DD

PS. I have one alight at the moment, the spinner is completely still but the metal Santa in a hot air balloon, which is hanging far above, is bouncing gently in the heat. As Toyah oneth lithped ' it'th a myth-tery'.
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I spent my chikdhood staring at one every xmas and in wonder of the tinkling sound they make, akways seemed to reflect the stillness of smas morning, this was before all the rellies turned up and brohd all my new toys.

My best guess is the upright for the centre axle has sonething in there so it won't turn easily or is too wide and the wheel is not upright or the axle that goes in it is bent?
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi DD I had to tinker with mine..it was the balance that was out..
    Love
    Barbara
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    My Scottish granny had one of these and it was part of the festive season high tea ritual for it to be fired up and be the centrepiece of the table or the sideboard; not all the adults enjoyed its merry sound(!) - which was possibly one reason Granny did it.... I also got one when my children were small. In both cases the firepower was a small candle rather than a tealight, so closer to the mechanics and hotter. Dismantling and cleaning the joints(of the decoration.....) might help, perhaps with the addition of a bit of soft pencil B or 2B to provide graphite lubrication. Perhaps a votive candle rather than a tealight might provide a bit extra oomph as they tend to be bigger.
    I did hear of someone who used a battery tealight and wondered why it didn't work....
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Mine was a balance issue too DD Barbara's.

I love them so pretty and when they work almost mesmerising!

xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to respond. The chiming one works fine but that is of much better quality which is probably why! The smaller ones are much thinner metal, which flexes very easily, so I suspect you are all correct in thinking it's to do with balance or the spinner not being centrally located. I'll have a tinker when the mood strikes! DD

t7304
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    None of my spinners are lit but they are merrily twirling because candles around them are. Weird. DD
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Magical DD! t115006

Or thermal currents really....

t07094.gif
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Mr DD spent a happy five minutes explaining about draughts and breezes down the chimney: I prefer your solution of magic. :D DD
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I read the title of this post and had a vision of twirling fidget spinners with tea lights attached!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich