Hello

Sh8ron
Sh8ron Member Posts: 13
edited 5. Jan 2019, 06:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello Everyone, I'm newly diagnosed with arthritis in both hips and having trouble getting used to it. Thankfully it's Christmas and I don't have to go to work, coz it's hard. Best wishes, Sharon. X

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Sh8ron
    welcome to the forums it is lovely to have you here. I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with your hips, adjusting to hip pain can be very challenging. You might find this section of our website useful https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis and I am sure there are other members on here who will share their experiences with you
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I am sorry you have had to find us. I assume you have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis? It is the most common form of the disease, there are around ten million arthritics in the UK the majority of whom have OA so you are far from alone. Mine was diagnosed back in 2011 and is there as a result of the joint damage caused by my auto-immune arthritis, a double I thought could not be done. :lol: Some joints have one kind, some the other and others both so life has its challenges. I began aged 37, finally retired when I was around 54 but was fortunate because I was self-employed and able to tailor things to suit my needs, not those of others.

We all get it because we've all got it, I hope you find the forum to be of interest and I hope we can help with support and information. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello from me, too, Sharon. Yes, work must be hard with dodgy hips. I've had both mine replaced though one is on the blink again.

How have you managed over Christmas? A different sort of bother with them, I suppose. I hope the New Year will be better for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Sharon and welcome to the forum
    I remember my diagnosis very well and it does take time but we do adapt ...I have had both hips replaced and they are good ..just my back to deal with..but we get there..and talking to others that have gone through the same can really help.. :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Hello from me also.

I have OA (osteo arthritis) in most of my weight bearing joints, my lumbar and cervical spine, my left shoulder and my left hand/wrist. I have 2x knee replacements (the partial replacement in 2009 was a success; the total replacement in 2017 wasn't as good a result).

As the others have already said (and DD as usual has said it very eloquently!), we understand what you are going through as we are all struggling with arthritis of various types. We are all different; arthritis affects us all but a common thread on here is, as you will find, that arthritis is part of us - not all of us.

I hope you find being here to be of value.

Take care of yourself.
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Grace B says it all, I have put up with arther for a lifetime andI am still on the slioppery slope but I do find it easuer to deal with but that diesn't help you. You must find your own way through this maze of emotions abd pain and writing it down here does gelp, somehow you leave some oain and mixed feeling on here and clear your iwn mind.
  • Sh8ron
    Sh8ron Member Posts: 13
    :) Thank you to everyone who responded to my "post" . I'm 58, almost 59 but am feeling 99 to be honest. I'll doubt I'll make that great age. I'm assuming being newly diagnosed that it takes some time to get ones meds "right". I've found myself run out of Codiene, waiting for my prescription to be delivered. GP also prescribed other drugs, I need to find what works for me. Or will that keep changing? I'm also a colostomate (I have a colostomy) and that took years to find what works for my body and what I can and can't eat. My GP has advised a physio appointment after I consulted regarding the meds and a particular acute pain I get near my groin. I seize up so quickly and worry all the time about falling over because I can't feel my feet if you know what I mean.
    Meanwhile I'm a manager of 9 staff in an office which has it's own challenges. I'm being referred to our Occupational health department soon.
    Most of all I get angry and frustrated and I cry. It's still hard to accept this.
    Sharon xxx
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I got my first diagnosis about 5 1/2 years ago and I can still remember the shock of that and being where you are emotionally. I took far longer to come to the forum than you but once I did I found it an indredible source of support. I still have days when I struggle emotionally but "Claudia" and I have grudgingly worked out ways of getting on and though my life now is incredibly different to what I had expected it to be at my age, 57, I can honestly say it is good.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Sharon, you've dealt with your colostomy bag. You can deal with arthritis. I know the bags can be tricky but I hadn't realised you'd to watch what you ate. If you've got that sorted arthritis will be easy.

Now, how many people make 99? Who would want to :lol: My parents both made 90 but my ambition was to raise my sons to independence. That's achieved. The rest is bonus. Of a kind :wink:

You will soon learn never to run out of meds. I find holidays and Christmas a nightmare of preparation medswise. I don't know whether or not what works for you will keep changing. Yours is OA, isn't it? If so, it's less likely to change but that's not written in stone.

As regards worrying about falling over, can you use a stick? I can't (my feet stick out and my hands won't hold one :roll: ) but many on here find them very useful.

You'll get there re the acceptance. It just takes time. Go easy on yourself.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I am 59 and feel like a 59 year old with PsA and OA. We have neighbours who are in their 70s, 80s and 90s who are considerably fitter than me, still kneeling, walking for miles, gardening etc.,. I joke I'm doing old age for them. I know I won't make old bones (the meds for the auto-immune are not life-lengthening) and I am not bothered in the slightest by that.

Some people are like magnets when it comes to bad health, life becomes nothing but hurdle after hurdle doesn't it? I was reading an article today in the paper about girls aged under 22, all diagnosed with various forms of cancer and that put things into perspective for me. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben