Diclofenac ?

Grynch
Grynch Member Posts: 13
edited 3. Jan 2019, 06:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
What other pain meds can I take while on Diclofenac?

Comments

• GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi,

We can't answer that for you unfortunately as we aren't medically qualified.

Try speaking to a pharmacist to see if s/he can help, if not you'll need to see your GP.

I hope you get it sorted.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi Grynch and welcome to the forums.

Diclofenac is one of many Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) which can help relieve pain and stiffness.

Some of these may cause side effects that can affect the digestive system and you may need to take additional medication to protect the stomach.

There is some general information on this on the website:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/drugs/non-steroidal-anti-inflammatory-drugs-nsaids/

As Grace says, for medical advice you will need to speak with your doctor treating you.

Afterwards, do come and let us know how you get on.

Why not say a little more about your experience with Arthritis and introduce yourself to the forum.

I look forward to reading your posts.
    All best wishes
    Brynmor
  • Grynch
    Thanks, I’ll ring my local surgery Monday to see what answers I can get.
    Diclofenac was prescribed late Friday by a nurse Practitioner who frankly I don’t trust
  • JoeB
    JoeB Bots Posts: 83
    What was it about them and their prescribing capability that did not inspire confidence ?

Arthur
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I found diclofenac the only NSAID which enabled me to reduce my pain meds then, because it raised the risk of heart attack in very few people, I was taken off it. You lose some then you lose some more. :|

We are not medically qualified to instruct as to which pain meds are OK to take. I presume you have an arthritis of some kind which is why you have joined, I am a lucky winner with a creaky foot in both camps and around forty affected joints: which ails thee and where? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Grynch
    Back in August I started suddenly having severe pain in right knee and about a week later moderate pain in right hip - knee was eventually diagnosed as have an “abnormal object” under knee cap and hip was dismissed as result of favouring my leg and it would get better
    Hip continued to worsen TIL bone in bone situation was found.

Early jan when doc is off holidays I’ll be having knee incised to remove (?) and cortisone injection for hip followed sometime 2019 by hip replacement
  • dreamdaisy
    That sounds like osteo, I have that too as a result of my other arthritis which began when I was 37. I am now 59, some joints have one, some the other and others both. I keep my pain relief to the minimum so I have room to increase when things deteriorate, of the two I have I prefer the OA because it is very straightforward in how it presents and so easier to manage. Its inflammation is also localised unlike the other which affects the whole body. I take four 30/500 cocodamol per day, that dulls enough to allow me to get on. I can no longer remember being pain-free which also makes things a deal easier. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    What you definitely can't take with diclo is any other NSAID (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs). Although ordinary painkillers are usually OK you won't know if that applies to you until / unless you ask your GP so I'm glad you'll be seeing him / her. Like ArthurCJ, I'm intrigued as to why you didn't trust the nursing practitioner. In my case, because (a)most people on here seem to regard diclos as one of the better NSAIDS but have been pushed onto others to save money and (b)in my experience the nursing practitioners both know their stuff and have more time than docs. Anyway, I hope you can get sorted and have a Happy New Year :D
    newyear02
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Grynch
    Normally I have the highest regard for nurse Practitioners however this one misdiagnosed both my wife and myself within the last six months
  • Grynch
    I just got a call from my surgeons secretary and due to a cancellation I’m now booked for both procedures 08january !!!

😁😁😁😁😆😁
  • dreamdaisy
    Hurrah! DD
  • Grynch
    The only problem is that is the day before my dogs birthday- I hope she’ll understand
  • dreamdaisy
    I think that must be shock talking - this is very sudden news and would take anyone aback . . . .
  • JoeB
    JoeB Bots Posts: 83
    Regarding Diclofenac - In case you are unaware the British National Formulary is available to view online (via the N.I.C.E website).

Perhaps of interest.

Arthur