Bicep Pain

Lotsofpain
Lotsofpain Member Posts: 157
edited 7. Jan 2019, 04:36 in Living with Arthritis archive

I want to tape my biceps as I am getting pain mainly when using the computer mouse, should my biceps be stretched when I tape​ or unstretched. ​ ​Id have said unstreched so there is support when the muscle is streched​

Comments

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I get referred pain down jy upper arm from my shoulder which is wirn out but not on its own. Muscle strain? Taping a myscke may stop further injury hut nit help an injury that has alrwady occured?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    We've been here before, haven't we? I know you're a great believer in taping yourself up but I've never seen how it could help.

Once again, if your pain is muscular (and biceps sounds like muscular pain) maybe just rest the affected muscles for a while until the strain has eased. It can be very difficult to not perform habitual actions but, with thought and effort, alternative actions can usually be found.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Do other arm exercises to strengthen your muscles, taping just enables muscle weakness and more trouble. Yes, I know top athletes appear with massive strappings but there is a difference between them and the arthritic likes of us.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Airwave!
    I've just had an image of this person pass before my eyes, scooting along with limbs and hair akimbo, with tape everywhere and the rest of the roll following them through the air.....

• BettyMac
    BettyMac Member Posts: 201
    I know waiting lists tend to be awful - but it might be worthwhile asking for a referral to an Occupational Therapist.
  • Airwave!
    Waiting lists are at can all time high, konths for a consultants appointment. Not a situation tgat will change quickly. I wonder what the figures are where patients try and do something positive bbut end up self harming? Probably takes up even more medical time and money?
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    One thing has been puzzling me: how on earth do you get bicep pains from merely moving a mouse? They require the lightest of touches, I can see joints protesting if one spends too long on the machine but mice (even rebellious ones) do not require a death-grip. I can only conclude that posture might be an issue here, combined with poor ergonomics. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Philo
    Philo Member Posts: 8
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    One thing has been puzzling me: how on earth do you get bicep pains from merely moving a mouse?

The easiest way is to play games for hours on end. Hardcore gaming leads to repetitive strain injuries. However, generally they affect the elbow, wrist, and/or forearm.

I used to set up IT for children with disabilities. If you are getting pain from the mouse, you've either got a problem with posture (possibly because your arthritis adversely affects your posture), or are using it too much. If you can't change either of these, it might be worth looking at a different input device. Large trackballs (i.e. something the size of a tennis ball) are very effective, and don't replicate the same muscle use as a mouse.