A new bed and mattress

Options
deb6160
deb6160 Member Posts: 2
edited 4. Jan 2019, 08:14 in Say Hello Archive
Hi, my name is Deborah I am 63 and I have had poor bones for 20 or so years. My fingers are deformed and painful, my neck, spine, hips, knees and back are all arthritic.

I am looking to buy either a new bed and mattress or just a mattress. this is where I need help. What have you bought that works. To lay on my sides my hips are painful after about 30 minutes, I cannot lay on my back as one leg will not lay flat. also this may sound strange but my ears hurt as well.

Also reading some of these posts I find it strange that exercise helps when I find it hard to just move around. Should I try some exercise, would it help after so long of having poor mobility. have you had success please share with me.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Deborah
    welcome to the community it is lovely to have you here. Beds and mattresses are often difficult when it comes to being comfortable. In the first instance it might be worth asking your GP to arrange for the community Occupational therapist to come and give you an assessment and some advice. Often them can see things that we can't. There is a section on our website that you might find useful here https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/living-with-arthritis/your-home/ I also wondered what type of arthritis you had as maybe it would be worth getting a review of your medication if you are finding it hard to get comfortable and sleep at night. On a personal note I really understand what you say about getting a sore ear. I have had this problem too, I eventually solved it by getting a soft down pillow but your solution maybe different.
    The key is to try things out as much as you can.
    I am sure everyone here will share their experiences with you. Let us know how you get on
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Hi Deb and welcome from me too. This is a topic that comes up regularly. If you enter 'bed' in the search engine you'll see past threads.

I have RA and OA and have had for many years so I understand the importance of beds and mattresses. My last two have been ¾ double sprung with ¼ memory foam on top. Memory foam's a bit of a marmite thing. It's hot (which is why I don't buy all-memory foam) but so comfortable, supporting every joint that touches it.

But, that's only my choice and I'd never buy a bed or mattress that I hadn't tried out. Yes, one looks a bit of a prawn just lying there in the shop but it's the only way to find out what's best.

Bed or mattress? They say a bed's natural life is about 10 years. I guess, if the bed itself is supportive and strong, a new mattress can be added to an old frame but, if the frame is saggy or broken, that would just be a quick way of ruining a good new mattress.

If one leg doesn't lie flat, have you tried putting a pillow under it?

As for exercise – the stronger our muscles are the more they support our joints and the more the joints are supported the less pain we feel. I find that it's when I least feel like exercising that I derive most good..Have a look here https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/exercise/ And good luck on both fronts!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    When we bought our new mattresses four years ago from John Lewis we spent hours trying different ones. We ended up with hand-made-all-natural fillings, his is a medium and mine a firm. We have two three feet mattresses which can be separated (brilliant when he's ill, it makes the washing easier) and zipped together when he's not. I cared not what people thought as I sat there, propped up, reading my Kindle for thirty minutes: give them a mere ten minutes of what I have and they wouldn't be able to read.

When one is compromised by arthritis as I am (two kinds, around forty affected joints) nothing is comfortable and never will be. I sleep with a memory pillow between my knees (I am a side-sleeper) and one under my head: both Tempur, both expensive but I haven't bought another cheap pillow since I bought those, I don't need them. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben