Fatigue and RA

ShonaM
ShonaM Member Posts: 2
edited 4. Jan 2019, 08:20 in Say Hello Archive
Hi everyone. This is my first time posting. I'm 29 and got diagnosed with RA 3 years ago. I'm currently on Leflunomide and waiting on trying another medication along with it. I work full time in a school and have two children. The tiredness everyday is so bad. It doesn't matter if I get 3 hours or 15 hours sleeping I just can't shake this feeling. Does anyone have any tips on how to help?
Thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi ShonaM
    welcome to the community it is lovely to have you here. Having rheumatoid arthritis and the fatigue that goes with it does make day to day living very challenging. As you say feeling tired all the time is exhausting, pardon the pun.
    Being on the right medication will help but of course these things take time to settle meanwhile it can be challenging to pace yourself and adapt especially with a full time job and 2 children. You might find this section of our website useful https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/managing-fatigue/
    I am sure some of our wonderful members will also be able to share their experiences with you. Please let us know how you get on
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello and welcome from me too.

I can only endorse what Sharon has written. I've had RA for upwards of 50 years and the fatigue can be horrendous. I was also a teacher way back and I have two grown-up sons. It's a challenging mix :roll: Frankly, the times when I've really been bad with the fatigue are times when the meds weren't working sufficiently. I guess this is why you're waiting for another med. I take methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine but other combinations are available.

How to ease the fatigue? Are there things that could be rearranged at school? Bosses have a legal obligation to alter things where possible and local authorities are usually very good about such things. At home? Do you come home and cook and clean? Could the family help with some tasks on a rota basis? The occasional ready meal or take away will do them no harm.

I'm sorry I can't suggest more. It's a tough one but I can't see it easing off soon – not until the new meds regime really kicks in. I hope I'm wrong.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I have trouble with fatigue from time to time but in the past it be been far worse, usually when my meds have been restricted for some reason. With me it's a sign that things are not properly controlled, I have never been able to take just one medication to control things. I am in my twenty-first year of it all, you name it I've tried it; my current regimen of weekly injected methotrexate and fortnightly injected humira are controling things very well. I do occasionally feel extra tired after the injections but generally I am TATT: it's the nature of the disease. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben