Hi Everyone

Jellytots
Jellytots Member Posts: 2
edited 4. Jan 2019, 08:35 in Say Hello Archive
Hi
My names Laura and I’m 51 years old.
I am awaiting a diagnosis. I have B12 deficiency and am on 3 monthly b12 injections , not sure if there’s any relation between b12 deficiency and arthritis!
I have very painful DIP joints, which started getting really bad only a few months ago and starting to get some pain in my feet.
My Gp sent me for an x Ray and I’ve just got a copy of my recent x ray report of my hands which show bony erosions on all DIP joints in both hands. It concludes saying X-ray is suggestive of erosive osteoarthritis. Report also states “mild degree of periarticular osteopenia .
My concern is that I might actually have RA as I understand periarticular osteopenia is only found in RA or is that not right?
Also what medication do other people who have erosive osteoarthritis take for this and did you get referred to a rheumatologist? I have an appointment with my GP to discuss the X-ray report on Sunday

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Jellytots
    welcome to the community it is lovely to have you here. Having painful hands is very difficult to manage and it is great that you have now had an X-ray. We cannot unfortunately make any kind of diagnosis from you report but I am sure your GP will be able to give you a clearer picture on Sunday. If you suspect rheumatoid arthritis it would be good to share this and ask their opinion about it. Depending on the diagnosis you will then either be referred to a rheumatologist or managed by your GP.
    There is a huge range of medication used depending on your diagnosis and you might find this section of our website useful. https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/rheumatoid-arthritis/
    Let us know how you get on. I am sure our members will be able to share some good ideas and their experience with you
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, I don't have RA, preferring instead to do the double with psoriatic (PsA) and osteoarthritis. Osteopenia is, I think, the precursor to osteoporosis which can happen regardless of arthritis and is not unknown in menopausal women. I think it best to chat this over with your GP, he may not be as informed about RA as you might need but we cannot diagnose or even suggest what might be going on. I take a regular dose of calcium fortified with Vitamin Deficiency, my bones began to thin after taking oral steroids for a couple of years but, once I weaned myself off those, my density increased so I do my best to protect it now.

For the OA I take pain relief and exercise. The meds for the PsA have no effect on the OA. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben