Hello. new here.........

Options
Daydreamer
Daydreamer Member Posts: 3
edited 4. Jan 2019, 10:27 in Say Hello Archive
Hi, I'm new here and just wanted to say hello. I had some really good advice from the phone helpline but still struggle with coming to terms with the near constant pain.
I have arthritis in my hands, especially my thumbs and wondered if anyone has tries MBSR for the pain. (Mindfulness based stress reduction) I've heard it's pretty good for managing pain because although it doesn't lessen the pain, it makes it easier to deal with. Oooops! I guess I should have put the question in another bit.
Happy new year to all.
Daydreamer.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Daydreamer
    welcome to the community it is lovely to have you here. I am glad that our Helplines have been able to give you some good advice, they are a wonderful team.
    I know there are people on here who have done a course on mindfulness and found it very helpful so hopefully they will see this post of your. Living with pain is not easy and I am sure others will share their ideas and experiences with you. We do have a section on the website specifically about living with pain that you might find useful here https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/managing-your-pain/
    If you decide to do a course please let us know how you get on as it's always useful to be able to share this information. I did find this article that you may also find useful http://portfolio.cpl.co.uk/inspire/2017-spring/mindfulness/#search:christine
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Hello and welcome from me too.

I've never heard of the thing you mention but I feel it ought to work as, basically, anything that takes our mind off the pain does work. For me, watching cricket does it, or reading a good book (one that makes me think) or even mind puzzles where I have to really concentrate.

If you'd like more replies, though, I suggest you do put this on the Living With Arthritis forum as not many people look on here. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I am riddled with arthritis so every movement hurts something somewhere. I find distraction the best method of pain relief, when my attention is focused on something other than the pain it appears to lessen. If mindfulness it works for you then do it, we all find our own ways to help ourselves. Life became much easier to manage when being pain-free in major areas was no longer my reality, I think the more limited the affected areas the more it stands out. Good luck and I hope it helps! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Daydreamer
    Daydreamer Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi,

Thank you all for your replies and comments. I know when I'm really engrossed in something I am less aware of the pain but being a pessimist I worry about the future and how I'll cope if the pain gets worse but there are so many people on this site that are far worse off than I am so I'll be grateful for what I can do.

A friend has offered to give me a go with her tens machine and if it helps I'll probably buy one. scold