Hi

Options
BevSkelcher
BevSkelcher Member Posts: 5
edited 25. Jan 2019, 11:03 in Say Hello Archive
Hi, everyone, I am new, I have been recently diagnosed with Osteoarthritis and am awaiting an appointment with occupational therapy, my main problem is in my hands, I have found that this week after the Christmas Day preparations my hands are very painful and stiff and seem a little bit swollen, I am currently off work but only due to the holidays and start back on 2nd January, my job is all computer based and am grateful for a few days off with how they are at the moment, my appointment with OT is not until 21st Jan so I was hoping for some advice if anyone can help please

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I am sorry you have had to find us. The forum is quieter than usual at the moment thanks to the festive season but hopefully someone else will come on and say hello back.

I have two kinds of arthritis, it's the auto-immune one that affects all my fingers and both elbows whereas OA affects my wrists. those with OA in the hands find that heat is their salvation, the relief it gives is temporary but one is grateful for whatever can be gained. Soaking the hands in a bowl of warm water laced with Epsom salts can ease aches and pains, gently flexing the fingers also helps to free things up. Taking a small dose of pain relief on a regular basis is also helpful, if will not remove the pain because nothing does but it can take off enough of an edge to allow us to get on with things.

The inflammation is normal for arthritis, with OA it is localised to the affected area and will clear with rest although resting our hands is not easy! The Epsom salts may help with that. Wearing fingerless gloves can help to keep the fingers warm and more flexible, neoprene is a good insulator and nicely flexible. I find that my OA is aggravated by doing too much, the cold and damp weather and eating too much acidic food but I am years ahead of you (mine was diagnosed in 2011) and it affects many more joints: I am used to it and how it feels but this must be very new for you. I began with the first one back in 1997 so it's been a while now. :lol:

I wish you well and please let us know how you get in with the OT. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    My Sister in law works at a large delivery company and her fingers can get quite sore and swollen (she is in packing). She uses a kind of compression fingerless glove.

I don't know if it might help in your case? If so google should find what you want and maybe your pharmacist might be able to help?

Also there is lots of software you can get which uses your voice to activate the computer. Dragon being one of them

Best of luck

Toni xx
  • BevSkelcher
    Options
    Thank you to you all for your replies, I'm having a particularly bad day today and Finding that every little knock on my fingers is painful, I have a GP appointment on 23rd to see if they can also assist with pain relief, and will keep you all informed, but any more suggestions would be very helpful.

Thank you in Advance
    t4591
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Would a rollerball help with your work? Personally I don't like them but my fingers, for all they're each wandering a different way, are no longer painful.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • BevSkelcher
    Options
    Hi

Thanks, what do you mean by a Rollerball? :?:
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Just google 'rollerball mouse'.
    Steven Wright
  • BevSkelcher
    Options
    Hi Everyone, Thanks for your comments. I have now been to occupational Therapy who gave me a lovely warm wax treatment on my hands, my hands felt ok for a couple of days but are now starting to get worse again, I have been looking for somewhere I can buy one of these baths but not having much success at the moment. I was also given a protector for my finger that is showing signs of a red sore nodule, a glove to try whilst typing and a glove to try whilst sleeping, and also an ergonomic mouse for me to try at work, Has anyone had any experience of these aids?
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Just google 'wax bath'. Amazon sell them. (Other sellers are available :wink: ) Sorry, haven't tried the others.
    Steven Wright