Severe hand pain

poetryman57
poetryman57 Member Posts: 4
edited 11. Jan 2019, 06:19 in Say Hello Archive
Hi

This is my first post.

I suffer from osteoarthritis of the left knee, right foot and hands. I am going tomorrow for an injection in my foot in the hope the pain will abate for a while. My main problem at the moment, however, is constant pain in both hands, but the left one is much worse and keeps me awake or wakens me when I am sleeping. My third ginger keeps locking and all of the inside of my knuckles hurt.

In the past I have been given a wax bath which actually worked well and was effective for a few years, but apparently that is no longer available on the NHS. I would have thought it was more cost effective than the pills I am offered but can't take because I have ulcers.

I am hoping that someone has had similar experiences and can help or advise me in some way.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Good Evening poetryman57

Welcome to the forums from the moderating team. Any problems you have using the forum do let us know.

I am sorry to hear you are suffering with your hands and the treatment which helped in the past is no longer available on the NHS.

We have lots of lovely members on here who have considerable experience of living with arthritis I am sure someone will be along to help you soon.

In the meantime I attach a link for a fact-sheet on Osteoarthritis of the hand which might help:
    https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/671-osteoarthritis-of-the-hand-and-wrist

and to an ‘old’ thread the initiator of which uses hot wax most days, (I believe you can buy your own):

https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=48902&p=640185&hilit=painful+hands#p640185

Best of luck with your injection in your foot.

Ellen
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I hope the injection went well: if it was a steroid one rest the joint as much as you can for 48 hours, this gives the jollop time to soak in and might help it to work better.

I have OA all over the place plus another kind of arthritis. I have read on here that some find temporary relief by soaking their hands in warm water laced with Epsom salts and hand wax baths can be bought from a variety of retailers, that way you can treat yourself whenever you need.

I've had a rough day, I apologize for the brevity of my reply but I am very tired. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Poor you Poetryman we need our hands so much don't we all day.

My ex Mother in law had something called trigger finger where one of her fingers used to bend inwards towards her palms she used to soak them in warm water until they released. She has had steroid jabs into them from time to time which works for her for a good 6 months.

Dreamdaisy is quite right some people on here use their own wax baths not sure how pricey they are though.

Anyway I hope the injection helps

Take care

Toni x
  • crinkly1
    crinkly1 Member Posts: 156
    I bought my own wax bath many moons ago and have found it continuously useful for hand OA so it's been a very good investment. Can't remember the cost then but I just had a very quick look on the internet. A popular auction site has wax baths starting at under £20 so it might be worth you looking in more detail.

Hope you find what you need.
    Crinkly1