Forefinger and thumb numbness

Options
jaycoh
jaycoh Member Posts: 4
edited 11. Jan 2019, 08:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
My forefinger and thumb have numbness after a Trapeziectomy surgery due to arthritis. Will feeling return? It’s been 4 months since surgery and I’m finished with physical therapy. I play drums and guitar and, if this is the new normal (as my doctor suggested it could be), I will no longer be able to play (an outcome I'm not happy about at all).

Has anyone dealt with this? I believe we've ruled out carpal tunnel so I'm hoping that it'll improve over time.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Good Evening jaycoh

Welcome to the forums from the moderating team. Any problems you have using the forum do let us know.

I am sorry to hear you are suffering with your hand post op and fear this may be your new normal. As a guitarist I can see this would be devastating for you.

We have lots of lovely members on here who have considerable experience of living with arthritis I am sure someone will be along to help you soon.

In the meantime I attach a link which has information about hand surgery:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/surgery/hand-and-wrist-surgery/

Many members on here have reported lengthy recoveries from surgery and I very much hope that you will see further improvement.

Best wishes

Ellen
  • jaycoh
    Options
    Thank you, Ellen!

moderator wrote:
    Good Evening jaycoh

Welcome to the forums from the moderating team. Any problems you have using the forum do let us know.

I am sorry to hear you are suffering with your hand post op and fear this may be your new normal. As a guitarist I can see this would be devastating for you.

We have lots of lovely members on here who have considerable experience of living with arthritis I am sure someone will be along to help you soon.

In the meantime I attach a link which has information about hand surgery:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/surgery/hand-and-wrist-surgery/

Many members on here have reported lengthy recoveries from surgery and I very much hope that you will see further improvement.

Best wishes

Ellen
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,410
    Options
    Just wanted to nip in and say that I had back surgery many years ago and couldn't feel all of my right leg.

I was warned by the surgeon that the feeling (nerve damage) might not come back, but that it could improve over the next two years.

Improve it did. it really did and beyond the 2 years I was quoted. I am now left with just 3 areas of numbness a patch behind my knee, on my bum cheek ( :oops: ) and on the outside of my foot including heel and two toes.

So there is still hope. My fingers are crossed for you

Toni x
  • jaycoh
    Options
    Thank you, Toni for the glimmer of hope!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I had widespread numbness around my left knee after major surgery to remove solidified inflammation. It still feels odd in some parts: when the nerves were regrowing I was advised to drum the tingling area lightly with my fingers to stimulate growth. I do that with any tingling and it does help. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben