Hello....

xtr
xtr Member Posts: 3
edited 11. Jan 2019, 05:23 in Say Hello Archive
Hi Everyone

I didn't think I would be joining a forum to discuss my osteoarthritis but c'est la vie!

I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my hip and initially I was dismissive of having surgery (basically scared). Yesterday I saw another practitioner who advised that I should look into it as, in their opinion, I may have 6-12 months before the joint becomes 'bone on bone'.

I get some pain and discomfort but I haven't had to take pain killers and am generally active.

Looking online this morning about the various options I am somewhat overwhelmed by the options and don't know what to do about moving forward. I want to be as informed as possible before seeing the orthopaedic surgeon so that I can ask as many questions as possible. Also, is there such a thing as a league table of the best places in the country to get the surgery? I know you can check individual hospitals but a guide to the best places in terms of outcome would be really helpful.

Any ideas/advice that you can share would be most welcome.

I hope you are having a good day

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi xtr,
    Welcome to the forum. I'm sure we're full of reluctant joiners here! No one starts off planning to have a long term health condition after all... Glad you joined us though & hopefully you'll find some like-minded people with similar experiences to share.
    I don't have personal experience of osteoarthritis. I'm attaching a link to the info on the Versus Arthritis website, just in case there's anything new and helpful for you on it.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/osteoarthritis/

Hopefully some fellow OA sufferers with experience of surgery may be able to help you with your questions.

Best wishes,

Ann
  • crinkly1
    crinkly1 Member Posts: 156
    Hello and commiserations on your hip problems. As someone else with OA I can understand your anxiety about considering surgery but you would not have been advised to contemplate it if it were not in your best interests.

As most of us with OA are under the management of a GP they are the first port of call for information and will know how well other patients from the practice have done after hip surgery.

You will find lots of personal accounts on the 'Living with Arthritis' forum that will add to your knowledge too.

I'm also currently waiting for joint replacement surgery, although not a hip. I had a lot of my questions answered by my GP when the hospital referral was first made and I browsed the internet to find information about the surgeon I was to see and about the particular hospital's performance relating to my operation. I also spoke to an acquaintance who has had the same operation, then asked more specific questions at my hospital appointments and was answered fully and, I'm certain, honestly.

For me that was entirely reassuring so I didn't feel any need to look beyond my most local hospital. (I live in a small town and could, theoretically, choose between about four different hospitals within a 20 mile radius of my home.)

I hope you will also have the chance to ask for whatever information you need and, although you might not have a totally free choice under the NHS no-one can insist that you are operated on if you have reservations. It is worth remembering, though, that delaying joint surgery can lead to rapidly worsening mobility and that travelling long distances before and immediately after surgery as well as for follow up appointments could be extremely uncomfortable so it might be wise to limit your research to surgeons and hospitals reasonably close to your home. (Hospital transport may not be available if you are outside of your general home area.)

I do hope you find what you are looking for so you can go forward for your operation with confidence that you will emerge with a new lease of life! (I can't wait for mine!!)

Crinkly1
  • xtr
    xtr Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for replying. It is comforting to know there are others out there who understand. I will put together a list of questions and take it from there I guess.

Regards
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Gosh I can totally see why you are cautious about surgery it is a big step while you are active and not needing painkillers :?

My own Mother in law has decided against having her 2nd hip done and seems to be coping ok ATM.

When I was looking for a 2nd opinion for my daughter for her shoulder replacement I spent ages looking on the internet to find the best place to go and knew a few folks on here who had had joint surgery at that particular hospital.

Best of luck

Toni x