Advice please

Junie
Junie Member Posts: 20
edited 18. Jan 2019, 07:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone
I had keyhole surgery on my knee, a long time ago, my knee was better for a while, but it started again so I had another surgery which they said was just wear and tear on the knee.

I was great for many years, but now it has started again in my knees, the right knee is worse than left knee.
I went for xray, he only did the right knee?
I went to see a new gp just before Christmas, she said the result was showing onset of arthritis, she said they did injections at the surgery and to make an appointment after Christmas. She did not have time to Discuss it further.

I did not make the appointment, as I want to know what my options are?

Can someone advise please.

Many thanks
Junie

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Julie,

Welcome to the forum, it’s lovely to meet you. So you have painful knees which have required surgery in the past and now it’s starting up again. Wear and tear is a euphemism for osteoarthritis so it seems you have had it a long time. Here’s our booklet about osteoarthritis of the knee

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/osteoarthritis-of-the-knee/

It’s quite comprehensive, you will see about diagnosis and treatment so your options are all there. The injections can work brilliantly, I have them regularly, sometimes great but others not making much difference at all. However when I go back the next injection can be a good one!

We also have some great tips to make life easier on the forum, here’s the link,

https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18372

Keep posting, lots of us have had experience of knee osteoarthritis so ask any question you need, and let us know how you get on.

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I am sorry you have had to find us. I began my first arthritis back in 1997 and the damage that did led to the diagnosis of osteoarthritis in my knees in 2011. It's now in my ankles and hips too.

It could be that only the right knee was Xrayed because that was all that was requested on the form. Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis which I think works against it: there is rarely a sense of urgency because so many have it. All that can be done until the point of surgery becoming necessary is taking pain relief, maybe an anti-inflammatory medication and doing physio exercises to help keep the muscles surrounding the joints strong and flexible to better support the joint. GPs deal with the condition until a referral to orthopaedics is required.

I am in my eighth year of knowing I have OA but I suspect it was present long before the official diagnosis. I'm used to it, I know it will be worse when the weather is cold or camp or when I have overdone things. Have you noticed any correlation between your pain levels and the weather or standing too long? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Junie
    Hi Yvonne
    Thanks for the information
    Will have a good read.

Junie
  • Junie
    Hi dreamdaisy
    Cold weather and stairs make it worse.
    What injections do you have?
    Do you take any supplements?
    Thanks for your reply

Junie
  • dreamdaisy
    I think the injections you are referring to are steroids directly into the joint. I've had many but only one made a difference for three months. It all came back because they only mask rather a then cure so I don't bother now, especially as my arthritis is so widespread. The only supplement I take is vitamin D with added calcium, I do this between September and April.

I have a mantra for the stairs, 'Good leg to heaven, bad leg to hell.' In other words when going up I put the worst leg first then the poorer one comes up to join it, on going down the poorer one goes first, to be joined by the stronger. DD
  • Junie
    Hi Dreamdaisy

Think I will leave the injections for now.
    It is difficult to know if supplements will have any effect,
    With other heath issues going on.
    Do you have a special diet?
    I am told arnica oil or cream is good for rubbing on the knee.
    Junie
  • dreamdaisy
    Different things help different people, the most important thing is not to get one's hopes too high because the crash when they are dashed is not worth it. If the simple things such as diet or supplements worked this forum would not exist, it does because they don't.

I find three things aggravate my OA, two of which I can control: the amount of activity I do and eating to much acidic foods such as pickles and chutneys. If I am careful with both of those then things can be slightly easier. The third thing is uncontrollable as it's the weather, today is a pig of a day due to minus temperatures and no cartilage where it should be, no diet or supplement in the world is going to replace that.

Arthritis is a problem to which there is no solution. Some have it relatively mildly, others do it more thoroughly but it affects us all in the same way with pain and fatigue. DD
  • Junie
    Thanks DD