osteoarthritis

johnnyk32uk
johnnyk32uk Member Posts: 41
edited 28. Jan 2019, 16:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

I've been lying low for a while as I just feel things were not getting better for me so I was feeling a bit down.

After being on here and visiting my GP on Friday I suggested to her that I might have Osteoarthritis as well as PsA. She agreed after I was telling her everything but I still need to go to see a Rheumy to make sure. I am going to see a new Rheumy on 17th January so not too long to wait.

I am booked in to see pain management but not sure what they can help with just now as I have been told pain meds will interefere with my migraine meds.

I am also booked in for a Bowen therapy session just to see if that can help with some of my pains, it might not but I am willing to try anything just now although both these appointments are now after the year.

My feet (right foot especially) seems better today but the last 2 weeks have been really bad for walking etc but as I've noticed for a while the pains just keep moving around from feet, to hands, to back, to hip, they are all always sore but one area always seems worse. The weather also affects how bad the pains are.

I am just glad I found this site not so long ago and can get things off my chest where most can relate to what others are going through. The help and advice has been great and very friendly so a big thanks to everyone.

If I am not back on soon I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas.

Cheers,
John

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I hope the new rheumatologist is helpful but they probably won't be interested as such in any possible OA as it is not under their purlieu: likewise any GP I see ignores my PsA. My OA is aggravated by cold, damp, low pressure weather and my PsA with the heat of summer (although that could also be an overload of pollen trying to trigger the asthma).

Anything that helps to strengthen muscles is always useful but won't do anything to remediate any arthritis. It can help us psychologically though, making us feel that we are taking action against the disease, being pro-active rather than passive. Despite everything I hope you are able to enjoy Christmas. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello, I hope you survived the festivities and doing as well as possible. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    newyear02 And a Happy 2019 from me too :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello John
    I am glad to hear your have appointments for the rheumy and pain clinic ..must say the pain clinic can be hit and miss depending on were you live, mine was brilliant..I hope you get some help very soon...and yes it really is good to talk about things..hope you had a nice Christmas..
    Love
    Barbara
  • johnnyk32uk
    Thanks all, I hope everyone had a good Christmas and New Year as well.

I've not been too great so not been on here for a bit.

A few things happened today, first I went to the Bowen therapy and he said a few things to try and help with the pain, I will wait and see how it gets on. He thinks I have plantar fasciitis on my feet as they are really sore to walk on and have been for a while. He has strapped my feet up and the main thing is to try and rest them as much as possible to let them heal. He also done other things to help with other pains, it's not going to help overnight but I think it's worth a try for a couple of sessions, I will update on how things are going.

Secondly I visited a pain management Dr and she was really good. I thought I would just be offered more pain meds but was the opposite. After all the questions and looking over me she thinks I have Chronic sensitization syndrome as well as my arthritis and like my consultant said (that I wasn't happy about) that going on biologics is not going to help me really and you could have other side effects to deal with! She has recommended going to local meetings for things such as pacing and managing flare ups, pain etc. She also recommends I take up yoga or tai chi as some kind of exercise is needed so I will look into them.

I will see what the rhuemy says in a few weeks but not sure if I will get on any meds and not sure if they will help me after what I found out today.

Cheers,
    John
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'm glad you've had two good appointments. I hope the therapy does help because you're in a bit of a pickle re meds, aren't you? My fingers are crossed for you. Do let's know how the rheumatology appointment goes, please. Good luck with it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • johnnyk32uk
    Hi,

I went to see a new Rheumy today and was pleasantly surprised.

My old Rheumy never did anywhere near the same amount of checks I had today.

She looked at all my problem areas in a lot of detail, I even got an ultrasound on my feet where she confirmed I have plantar fasciitis and Osteoarthritis in areas. Again though she did say biologics was not the right next step but she gave me the choice of trying Methotrexate injections again at a lower dosage than I had before to start with.
    I accepted this as it did help with the pains etc even if the side effects were rubbish the second time I tried this.

I also went for another Bowen Therapy session last week but don't think I will be back, I didn't feel any better and was actually in more pain after the second time but I have heard good stories but just not for me.

I now look forward to starting the Metho again and fingers crossed (which is pretty sore to do) it helps :D

I was getting really down there but this has lifted me a bit.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Cheers,
    John
  • BettyMac
    BettyMac Member Posts: 201
    I’m glad you’ve found a good Rheumy. They’re worth their weight in gold!

My husband and I have both had problems with plantar fasciitis recently.
    It was one of the most painful things I’ve ever had!
    I realised what it was quite quickly and managed to sort it by gently stretching the Achilles‘ tendon. I found good information online about this.

Unfortunately, my husband moaned for a few weeks about sore feet before I realised what was up with him. His has taken a bit longer to resolve. He did the stretching exercises but what made the biggest difference was an old fashioned, thick-soled pair of slippers. He also wore his walking boots to work for a couple of weeks, rather than wearing his street shoes.

I reckon both of us ended up with the problem from standing on the cold, hard kitchen floor for too long.

I hope the injected methotrexate helps your general condition.
  • johnnyk32uk
    Hi Betty,

Thanks for the advice for the Plantar Fasciitis, it's been agony trying to walk sometimes.

I have some good socks and insoles etc and also started wearing boots I got for Christmas. I do need to start doing more exercises to help.

I've got my fingers crossed things improve but know it can take time for the meds to get in to your system.

Thanks again for the advice and hope your feet are better :)
    John
  • dreamdaisy
    I regularly stand on tiptoe to stretch the things that need to be stretched, it's one of those things that is easily done whilst waiting for the kettle to boil, more challenging when teeth-cleaning! I can't remember when I had my last bout of PF.

Bowen, Alexander and the like are fine for those who don't have arthritis, you are in a state of double jeopardy with the migraines etc. which undoubtedly complicated matters. As for rheumatologists the first one I saw, who was coasting towards imminent retirement, dismissed me in five minutes flat. DD
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I admit to having to googke tge 'Bowen Therapy', if its anything like sports massage and like I find, painful, its a big no, no and makes ne feel like I''ve been beaten up. I took me a month to get over the last time I went, never again.
  • 40withKneePain
    40withKneePain Member Posts: 25
    Hello there,

I saw Plantar Fasciitis in the topic and thought I could help.

I suffered from this for some week, assuming it was all related to my RA. However it was PF, not my RA, maybe a development of it from RA.

I went to see my doctor who gave me anti biotics and some Physio.

As I have been receiving treatment for my knee of Ozone treatment, I thought I would see if the Ozone injectiions would help treat me PF. I took one dose and Voila...it was all clear.

The knee is still in WIP as its been severly damaged however the one inhection in and aroudn the heel solved my PF.

The Ozone Dr's are not common. If you find one, i would def give it a go.

I do hope you are relieved of your pain ..I know how bad it can be!
  • johnnyk32uk
    thanks for all the replies.

I've just started my methotrexate again yesterday, and been feeling sick and sore heads today, hopefully it will settle down once I get further into the treatment.

My PF is a bit better, I bought a kit on amazon and I am finding the spikey ball really good and can walk sometimes with little pain on the bottom of my feet which is great. My right foot pain is still bad but I am hoping the metho with help in time.

I need to go into my work office this week so I am hoping I will be OK for that, although there is snow forecast this week up here!!

The bowen therapy I tried wasn't sore as they touch you softly then leave you and repeat but I didn't find it helped me or would in the long term, but family members keep going back so it works for some just not for me.

Thanks again for all your comments and help.

Cheers,
    John