Keeping going...

mouse2009
mouse2009 Member Posts: 19
edited 29. Jan 2019, 15:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, feeling exhausted with life generally this morning. Am a mature student nurse (41) with two young children, qualify in 5 months. Mountain of study to do and on a difficult placement at the mo, which is causing me much stress. Diagnosed with sero-negative arthritis 15 months ago affecting all joints. Rheumatologist tried me on variety meds, on methotrexate (self inject) and various other oral anti-inflammatories. I am determined to keep going despite the pain and inflammation (some days unbearable), constantly tired. Just feel I am moaning to my hubby all the time how my symptoms make me feel. Methotrexate Friday is horrible and I dread it every week! Have many good things in my life, but struggling today [emoji853]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi and welcome to the forums,sounds like youre having a rough time,the members here are a knowledgeable lot so just ask for any info - I've attached a link that may be of use but I suspect you have any info you need.
    https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis
    Al
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    (((( )))) I think hugs are, maybe, what you need right now, eh?

You are struggling on so many fronts. I've had RA for many years. I did my exams with RA. I worked with RA and I raised my two sons with RA but I never tried combining all three at once. No wonder things are so tough for you.

Arthritis thrives on stress but how to avoid it? Of course you don't want to be a perpetual wet blanket for your husband and, please, if it helps to 'tell it like it is' on here, do that. We understand. All too well. However, the obverse of that particular coin is to shut our loved ones out of our lives rather than just keeping them protected from our pain. It's a really tricky balancing act. Try not to pretend all is OK. You may find that he's struggling too. Arthritis affects a whole household in different ways. Sometimes a good natter over a bottle of wine can bring out things neither have said. But, believe me, I know that's not easy when you have children to look after.

How are your blood tests? Is the disease (allegedly) under control? (Sometimes pain felt and disease activity recorded seem to bear no relation to each other.) If not, you might need another med chucked into the mix. My RA is very stable on methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine.

I hope something can be done to make things easier for you but, in the meantime, remember we are here as listening posts. ((( )))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello mouse2009
    And a war,m welcome form me, I really do feel for you, but like you say the way forward is not to give in...you have a lot on your hands with work and the children , I hope you get help with them..and your Rheumy can find something to help..make sure you get on at them..they are so busy it easy to be forgotten..and like SW says you talk to us ..it really does help..although its quiet at the moment..the sun has come out...there is usually someone about..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Hi there,

(((((( ))))) guessing you may need some virtual hugs and some understanding from others who understand where you're at. I too have sero neg RA, and whilst I've now taken early retirement(at 55 from a challenging teaching job with 5 year olds!) I well remember the nedless fatigue that felt like walking into a brick wall.

Please talk to your rheumy nurse very honestly about how you're struggling, they may need to add in different DMARD's, or swap your methotrexate for something different, I recently swapped to Leflunomide because meth made me really nauseous and tired for 2 full days of every week, I persevered for 10 years and eventually reached the end of my tether with it. I wonder whether you have enough folic acid with the meth? Sometimes if they up the folic acid it can help with the side effects.

Keep talking, it helps to know that others understand, and saves burdening our nearest and dearest so much....I know that my own other half struggles with my disease because he feels helpless in knowing how best to help, it affects their lives hugely too.

Deb x
  • littlemimmy
    littlemimmy Member Posts: 111
    Hi mouse and welcome!

I joined this forum quite recently and it's been such a help. It's wonderful to have people at your fingertips who actually understand how this disease feels and affects you. Although I don't think any of us have as much going on in our lives as you do right now!

I would definitely agree that you should chat to your rheumatology nurse - don't forget that you can make an appointment in between your regular ones if you need it, and it does sound as though you need it!

I feel like I moan constantly to my partner and try to make myself shut up, but I think I'm mostly just trying to make her understand what it's actually like because I look fine and hate to feel like I'm just being lazy or whiny.

Do your course leaders know that you have arthritis? They may be able to help in some way if you're struggling.

As stickywicket says, do feel free to vent to us - this place is the friendliest shoulder if you need a good cry.

Kay
  • mouse2009
    Hi mouse and welcome!

I joined this forum quite recently and it's been such a help. It's wonderful to have people at your fingertips who actually understand how this disease feels and affects you. Although I don't think any of us have as much going on in our lives as you do right now!

I would definitely agree that you should chat to your rheumatology nurse - don't forget that you can make an appointment in between your regular ones if you need it, and it does sound as though you need it!

I feel like I moan constantly to my partner and try to make myself shut up, but I think I'm mostly just trying to make her understand what it's actually like because I look fine and hate to feel like I'm just being lazy or whiny.

Do your course leaders know that you have arthritis? They may be able to help in some way if you're struggling.

As stickywicket says, do feel free to vent to us - this place is the friendliest shoulder if you need a good cry.

Kay

Hi Kay, thanks for reply. Uni fully aware and support is in place, have asked for extension on my dissertation as some days have been in so much pain from long shifts I have to do on the wards. The end is in sight and am sure once my stress levels reduce, my pain will get a little better [emoji846]

• littlemimmy
    littlemimmy Member Posts: 111
    I'm glad your uni is understanding and supportive. Keep focusing on that end date!

I'm a teacher and most of my family work in schools in various roles, so I make us charts to countdown to the breaks. It makes the long terms easier. Maybe you could do the same to count down to your finishing date?

This is a huge achievement and you've done so well, and you're nearly there!
  • mouse2009
    I'm glad your uni is understanding and supportive. Keep focusing on that end date!

I'm a teacher and most of my family work in schools in various roles, so I make us charts to countdown to the breaks. It makes the long terms easier. Maybe you could do the same to count down to your finishing date?

This is a huge achievement and you've done so well, and you're nearly there!

Thankyou for your kind words [emoji846]

• Katy
    Katy Member Posts: 15
    Hi, feeling exhausted with life generally this morning. Am a mature student nurse (41) with two young children, qualify in 5 months. Mountain of study to do and on a difficult placement at the mo, which is causing me much stress. Diagnosed with sero-negative arthritis 15 months ago affecting all joints. Rheumatologist tried me on variety meds, on methotrexate (self inject) and various other oral anti-inflammatories. I am determined to keep going despite the pain and inflammation (some days unbearable), constantly tired. Just feel I am moaning to my hubby all the time how my symptoms make me feel. Methotrexate Friday is horrible and I dread it every week! Have many. hi I'm new to forum, let me know if I've sent this ok as it's been a nightmare logging in lol

[/quote]
  • Katy
    Hi, am new to forum, but am also diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and a touch of osteo too thrown in 😕
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums, Katy, from the moderation team.

I am very sorry to hear you have sero-negative RA. Your life does sound very busy to me; a mountain of work, 2 children, and a difficult placement with 5 months to go until you qualify! I am not at all surprised that you are utterly exhausted I would be too.

This link is to Arthritis Care’s information about fatigue if you have time and want to take a look:

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis/fatigue

Your post is fine. Everyone’s initial posts are moderated before they go online to minimise the risk of anything untoward such as sales posts or spammers etc. We do try to avoid posting in colours as some of our users find them difficult to read.

I can promise you will get lots of support from the members on here, many of whom have similar problems to you.

As moderators we are here to help with any issues you may have using the message boards so feel free to send us a message if you need to.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Ellen

Pa Apologies to mouse for the hijacking of your thread.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Katy and welcome.

I'm a bit confused here (It doesn't take much :wink: ) as your story sounds identical to 'mouse's which I did reply to. I wonder if you logged in again under another username.

We'd love to help if we can.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Katy
    I’m not the nurse Katy, don’t know what’s happened [emoji51]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Katy
    Hi Katy and welcome.

I'm a bit confused here (It doesn't take much :wink: ) as your story sounds identical to 'mouse's which I did reply to. I wonder if you logged in again under another username.

We'd love to help if we can.
    Help [emoji51]

• Katy
    Hrlp