R.I.P. Europe

Quintus
Quintus Member Posts: 62
edited 2. Mar 2019, 16:02 in Community Chit-chat archive
It is sad. It is dramatic. It is revolting: R.I.P. Europe. It is more serious than a personal health issue. It is simply back to thirties.

Comments

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Or more importantly, goodbye EU! My own family suffered a lot to keep our shores sovereign and we are at last returning them to that state.

Just need to retrain all our polititicians on how to run a country!
    😎
  • Quintus
    As far as I remember England you hardly need sunglasses to defend the shores😊. A nice welcoming cuppa will do...
    Concerning politicians: training seems to be hopeless as the past and the present shows.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello Quintus, it's lovely to see you here again. I hope all is well with you as it can be.

I think it true to say that the relationship between the UK and Europe is a tricky area: geographically there is no link and never will be, the gulf is there and always will be which also influences the cultural links. I vaguely recall the ado when we joined but let's face it, the UK is not a team player and never will be because we are an island race. Europe will not miss us, we flatter ourselves to think it will.

The mis-handling of the process by our government is appalling. If we manage to lurch out of the EU with any resemblance of dignity that will only be by accident, not design. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Quintus
    Good evening Mrs DD! Nice to meet you again, too! But you are wrong! Europe WILL miss you! Well, at least I will! If GB does not belong to the European continent, to what kind of continent does it belong? Geographically speaking? The americas? Atlantis? Surely not Africa, I reckon...
    But you have a point there: your politicians seem to be even more amateurish right now than ours. I am not sure if we may call it a tragedy, a comedy or simply some kind of open end - soap opera. Probably just a joke regarding the actors. I specifically like Johnson and Mister Mogg- Reese. The name alone... 😊 Sir Dyson too. It could be amusing if it would be fiction
  • Airwave!
    I need sunnies because I have new ryes and the light is too bright.

😎

There may be x disruption ir two but business will get over it, a new firm of closeness with europe will surface, we'll still buy cars, drink french wine and go on hokidays (mines all booked up) and when we come back the laws we live under will be the ones we vote for through our oarliamentary system. Our fishing fleets will be a growth industry with bew oppotunities and we can sink or swim under our own choice not a committee led decision by a federal state where one size fits all. We shall see what we make of it.
  • Quintus
    Eire?
  • Airwave!
    Eire? They had two vreferendums with the second deciding to stay in the EU, I see them as EU and trying hard to push our politics by pressing unneccessary buttons.

I doubt that if we leave without a 'deal' it will stay that wzy for long since both sides will want to talk, maybe it will work out better with more pressure on the EU and they will at last step away from their united federal state and deal in the realities of politics rather than an idealistic view.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It's all an incredible mess got into by politicians who cared more for their own jobs than their country. Everything seems to be sacrificed on the altar of self-interest. I voted remain but just imagine if we ended up still in Europe now! They must hate and despise us for wasting so much of their time and heaven only knows how much of their money. We will get what we deserve - a small deal for a small-minded little country.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Quintus
    But dear Mrs sticky w: please don't use words as "hate" (or love, which would be on the same scale).Nobody "hates" you! Yes, the English just spoiled a nice idea. And yes, you are right now giving a very bad show. It is lamentable. Pathetic and very poor fair play. But hate? No! If we begin to use this kind of expressions we will be back to 1914 soon, won't we?
    Sûre, Cameron should be hanged by his...well. And all the other so called responsables on Atlantis are absolutely ridiculous. The whole thing is a lamentable mess born out of pride, patriotism and fear. AND lies, of course. (Why is this Johnson thing still not imprisoned?)
    But hate has nothing to do with it. Not on this side of the channel.
    Personally I am against a new referendum. I am against a prolongation of the exit. And I am against new negotiations. I am against it with some kind of a "bleeding heart". England was given it's chance for two years now. It has failed.
    But HATE, my dear Mrs. Sticky W has nothing to do with it! Please!
  • Quintus
    Post-scriptum : I think there should be a European referendum about the remain of Scotland in the EU. Bonnie Prince Charles would love the outcome😊
  • stickywicket
    Quintus, you are the voice of sweet reason. I stand corrected. Not hate but maybe exasperation as we, once again, prepare to re-live Groundhog Day.
    Steven Wright
  • Quintus
    Exasperation is a much nicer and more fitting word, I think. The whole Brexit process, as amusing as it may seem for extra- terrestrians is much less funny for the younger generation. "Erasmus" for example is one of the most important item of multi- latéral progress. But who cares for education? Of course that does not concern the glorious yesterday generation. But so what- spilled milk. Spilled mainly by snug elderly men and women. Perhaps we should re-edit the categorical imperative. Though I am afraid common sense won't understand it.
    As far as I know Mrs. M is or has been back to Brussels. What for? Groundhogday, yes.
    Ok- back to defending shores. Why not. Could be fun. Yesterday's fun, of course. All that is utterly, utterly ridiculous. And sad. Thank you, England.
  • Airwave!
    How dare politicians even think about another referendum just because ghey won't carry out our instructions!

The EU is playing with our politics and trying to get us to accept a softer Brexit, listen to all their comments i.e. back into clise political and legal regulation, theirs not ours.

Please dont think we didn't kniw what we were voting for in 2016 (just more soundbites from remainers), I ignired all the rhetoric and voted and yes I am over 60 and my vote counts as much as any younger person, I may live for another 50 years! I may be poorly educated but I know my own mind and am well aware of history.

This is not about love or hate its about our country and wbat we bekeive in.
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Airwave I voted the other way but I share your opposition to another referendum. Whatever the result it would do nothing to heal our internal divisions and we would still have the same set of incapable politicians to screw up its implementation. They certainly would not wish to ensure that the voters had a better understanding of the extent to which much of what people voted against was the result of UK 'interpretations' rather than actual or intended EU policy; possibly the biggest elephant in the room in that respect is Mrs May when in the Home Office choosing not to implement the immigration controls available within EU legislation, and used by the other EU countries. Regardless of whether one is pro- or anti-EU, four decades of using it as a scapegoat has led to a generation of lazy politicians free to pursue self-interest and 'the good of the party' rather than the good of the country. If the vote had gone the other way there would have been no attempt to deal with the concerns of those who voted Leave, just business as usual, squashing the weak and hiding behind the EU. Sadly for those who voted Leave it's still 'as you were' anyway in that respect, with the added uncertainty of the effect of a withdrawal on commerce and industry, supply of goods etc.
  • stickywicket
    I'm totally with you, daffy. The EU has been the whipping boy for our own incompetence and lack of interest in sorting the true problems of our own country. Will things change if / when we are out of the EU? I don't know. I hope so because there is a lot of anger and blame around now and that gives rise to extremism on all sides.
    Steven Wright
  • DinoRul
    DinoRul Member Posts: 1
    Honestly, I was expecting another referendum. Which would be the end of democracy, even on paper. The people had a vote and it must be carried out. End of.
  • Quintus
    Hi, DinoRul- that is the funny part: carry it out! Apparently nobody knows how. Not even really why. They talk about another prolongation now. It doesn't make any sense at all. England has voted. It's leaders are totally incompetent to carry out the consequences. England should leave the the union end of march. As the people of England voted for. Basta. It is still pathetic. And the reason for I am against referendums. I simply don't trust the common sense. 1933, for example. Brazil right now...
    well- you wanted to get out: get out. May is riding on a razor blade. She won't last much longer. Labour is going down the pipe as it's collègues all over Europe. England voted populism. And populism is always the equivalent of right wing. As patriotism is.
    Brexit- the daily soap. It really should end in march.
    To be frank- the tiny and insignificant rest of the world seems to be fed up by England's demands and mercantile ( not human) interests. Best of luck, anyway. I always liked being in GB. Especially at school. I won't come back, I think. Too patriotic and right wingish.
  • Quintus
    Good evening Mister Airwave, Sir.
    Just a question: if you claim to be proud of your ancestors defending the English shores- does it count for 1066 too? And the fight over the English throne in between a german ex- empress and her cousin, a French count? And a generation later? Another French count and his wife à not so French duchess? When does "your" national history begin? From what point on it is "truly" english. Or, for god's sake British? Did your ancestors defend your Island against the Sachsen- Cobourg- Gotha's? Recently renamed Windsor? Just a question on behalf of patriotism or somesuch.