turmeric

Cheryl
Cheryl Member Posts: 6
edited 7. Feb 2019, 04:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
New to this not sure if I can post yet or doing this correctly has anyone found turmeric helpful.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, yes you have posted but on the wrong board which is easily done when new to a forum. You may find that your post has been moved by a mod to a more suitable board.

The subject of turmeric has been covered a number of times, I think it true to say that no one who has tried it has felt any noticeable improvement in their osteo arthritis, neither has it slowed the progression of the disease but of course the ads, with all their 'might help to ease', 'may reduce symptoms' and other such nebulous phrases, entice us with the possibility of something better. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Katy
    Katy Member Posts: 15
    I have found tumeric very helpful for the movement back in my joints

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Katy
    Katy Member Posts: 15
    I found it hepls

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    If it helps there's no harm in trying it Cheryl- it's not as though it's hugely expensive and we are all different.

Toni x
  • stellabean
    stellabean Member Posts: 307
    Hi Cheryl my rheumatologist told me to try this for my RA but I couldn't take it as my crohns didn't like it at all, but I will try anything once.
  • BoeingBoy
    BoeingBoy Member Posts: 7
    I have been using it for several months and found it has eased the symptoms of the Osteoarthritis in my left knee. So much so that whilst I am hardly likely to be dancing or breaking into a run I am at a much reduced pain level and free of NSAID's bar the worst days. I am able to walk without pain, although I still have some discomfort. It's manageable though. Interestingly I've stopped using support bandages as they become more uncomfortable than just having a free knee. (I should point out that I only have Arthritis on the inner side of one knee. The rest of the knee is fine)

The tablets I take are mixed with black pepper which aids absorption. There are many on the market so check for what suits you. They do take a while to build up so stick with them for at least a month before deciding how your getting on with them.

Interestingly the first consultant I saw told me that he had advised one of the nurses at his clinic that she needed a total knee replacement. She now skips past him every day singing 'Turmeric. Turmeric' much to his amusement.
  • dreamdaisy
    Cheryl posted a year ago and we've heard nothing since.

Turmeric is 'recommended' for those with OA by those without but it will do nothing to alter the behaviour of the immune system. DD
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    To be fair, placebos can help?
  • dreamdaisy
    Of course they do, the placebo effect is well known and proven but this type of thing will not reduce the activity of the immune system which is why the likes of me have the meds we do. I think the original poster had OA and I daresay she still does. DD
  • JoeB
    JoeB Bots Posts: 83
    An abstract that may be of interest :-

Curcumin reduces acute pain and inflammation better than NSAID phenylbutazone (5) The anti-inflammatory activity of curcumin was evaluated in a group of patients who underwent surgery or suffered from trauma. A double-blind controlled-trial in which three groups received curcumin (400 mg/day), a placebo, or phenylbutazone (100 mg/day) for five consecutive days after surgery. Treatment with curcumin resulted in reduced inflammation more effectively than phenylbutazone. (5)Phenylbutazone is a powerful analgesic (painkiller) and an NSAID (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug). Unlike NSAIDS, which have dangerous side-effects and black-box warnings, curcumin is safe and has no side-effects, even at doses up to 8,000 mg per day. (10, 11)

References:

5. Satoskar R.R., et al. “Evaluation of anti-inflammatory property of curcumin in patients with post-operative inflammation,” Int. J. Clin. Pharmacol. Ther. Toxicol.: 24(12), 651-4, 1986.

10. Sarker, S.D., et al. “Bioactivity of Turmeric,” Turmeric: The genus Curcuma; Medicinal and aromatic plants–industrial profiles, edited by Ravindran, P.N., et al. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2007.

11. Cheng, A.L., et al. “Phase I clinical trial of curcumin, a chemoprotective agent, in patients with high-risk or pre-malignant lesions. Anti-cancer Res. 2001; July-Aug 21:2895-2900: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11712783?dopt=Abstract.

I am in the interesting position of having taken both Phenylbutazone and Turmeric (albeit separately) but I am a trial cohort of one - so you may want to try it for yourself.

I hope this is of interest.

Arthur