Psoriatis Arthritis, what works best?

DeeJay
DeeJay Member Posts: 8
edited 14. Feb 2019, 13:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone, I have 'enjoyed' discomfort/pain for many years and finally have a diagnosis. Previously I was taking painkillers (cocodamol and others) and after that CBD. I now take CBD and also Etoricoxib daily; that and exercise and physio seen to help, but i get some side effects, at least i assume they are, from the Etoricoxib. The docs say that i could be eligible for anti-TNFs and i wanted to hear some thoughts from people who are using it as I am sceptical. Cheers DeeJay

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello and welcome DeeJay to the Versus Arthritis forum.

Sorry to read of your recent problems re PsA, but pleased to read that you are getting the on better side of it now.

I've found a link that may be of benefit to you:-
    https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/system/search-results.aspx?keywords=Etoricoxib

As with all medicines, they work for some, but not for all, we have many forum users whom I'm sure will be able to offer some good advice and support. Please feel free to contact the Versus Arthritis Helplines, the number is at the head of the page.

Good luck and enjoy the forum.

John
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I am sorry you have had to find us. I have PsA but for one reason or another began the meds far too late so the only thing they do is control disease activity; they have never reduced pain. I began in 1997, took my first meds in 2002, was finally diagnosed with PsA in 2006 and then osteoarthritis was diagnosed in 2011. My current combination is weekly injected methotrexate and fortnightly injected humira, my bloods are lovely and that has to be satisfaction enough. The majority of my pain comes from the OA, the meds for the PsA don't improve that.

I hope whatever you try makes the difference these meds can make if one receives them in time. For a lucky few they not only control disease activity but they also reduce pain and I sincerely hope you are included in that number. Needless to say those who are doing well don't join a forum because they don't need to, they naturally think that everyone's experience is like theirs. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    i think what works best is a very individual thing. My RA responds well to methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine. I can't take NSAIDS and would want my medics or pharmacist to check that the CBD oil isn't contra-indicated for any of the prescribed stuff.

Don't you currently take any DMARDS? You don't mention them but usually we have to fail on three before biologics are offered. I certainly think you need some kind of disease modifying drug. CBD oil and NSAIDS might help with the pain but won't restrain the disease itself.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • DeeJay
    Hi Moderator, Many thanks will look at link.

Hi DD, Sorry to hear you were late coming into the meds and that you have such a mix. You still sound very upbeat even so, that's good. Going back to the Arthritis doc soon so will discuss with him what's going on. Cheers

Hi Stickywicket, Thank you for all your information. It's funny, the Arthritis doc has not mentioned DMARDs; but I will on my next visit, thanks. As for the CBD contra-indications, my GP did investigate and could see none.

Hi Grace, Thanks for your input :o) As above, it's only been anti inflammatories offered and not DMARDs. I don't know why or why they have gone straight to anti TNFs. Will be bringing that all up on next visit.

Thank you all. Keep up the fight and stay strong.
  • stickywicket
    Thanks for the reply. Would you mind updating us when you've seen the rheumatologist as I'm intrigued to know why you might be skipping DMARDS and going straight to biologics. Thanks.
    Steven Wright
  • DeeJay
    Hi Stickywicket, Will do. Cheers
  • DeeJay
    Hi Stickywicket, I have been to see the consultant rheumatologist and he advised that DMARDs would be ineffective for Arthritis within the spine and therefore anti TNFs would be the best course to take. Think i'm going down that route as anti inflammatory are not working so well. Duncan
  • stickywicket
    I've not heard that before but I really hope they do the trick for you. Thanks for the update.
    Steven Wright
  • DeeJay
    Many thanks, let's see..