Life after second wrist fusion

viewmaster
viewmaster Member Posts: 31
edited 11. Apr 2019, 09:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
First full shower since having my second wrist fusion & forgot just how hard it would be.
Last time I did at least have some movement in my other wrist whereas now I have both fused & the recent one still in a cast.
But once I had eased the waterproof protection sleave over the cast & got in the shower it did feel good although very difficult.
I need to find a better shower jell dispenser to work with 1 hand that I can still get to the jell dispensed.
Did make good use of my dissabled long reach foot brush & toe sponge which makes cleaning my feet a little easier.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Thanks for the update, viewmaster, and well done for overcoming the shower :D

My wrists have both fused themselves and my fingers are rubbish so, deciding which shower gel to use was a big decision for me too. I opted for Simple because it is :lol: Just a flap which flips open easily then I use both hands to squirt some onto my 'scrunchy-on-a-stick'. Of course, you don't have two hands right now but maybe a smaller 'thing' of shower gel would help.

Anyway, well done and keep on passing those little milestones!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • viewmaster
    Have found that you can buy pump action wall mounted shower jell dispensers in various types from single to triple!
    These are just held on with silicone so can be stuck to glass, tile or wall surface & can be operated by just pushing knob to dispense whatever each compartment is filled with.
    As I still have a cast on my recently fused wrist so am.using a waterproof sleave to protect it have found this to be a good solution to get soap & or hair jell or conditioner using just 1 hand!
    So this can easily be used with the same hand that you are using to wash with if you only have 1 or limited movement.
    Even was able to fit it myself as no tools required, works well & looks nice can be removed from backplate to clean & refill.
    Lots cheaper than I thought & works well with a simple press with 1 finger or thumb.

• stickywicket
    How useful! Thanks for the tip. I might just investigate.
    Steven Wright
  • viewmaster
    Today was the removal of my cast & x-ray'd to check all was well with my wrist fusion .
    Although my wrist is not very centrally positioned due to the bone degradation as long as I can get my fingers moving again I don't care!
    Have another review in 8 weeks to see how I am coping with it & to see if there are any signs of the fusion pulling apart.
    First proper shower without plastic shower sleeve, which was nice & still currently able to continue working in an office working on a computer.
    Finding it very hard going, still have issues in both hands going numb where I rest them on the desk or keyboard extension.
    Am sure soon enough I will have to consider reducing the amount of keyboard work I do to remain comfortable, but I don't like to admit defeat.
    I am also aware that both of my hip resurfacing are getting towards the point of becoming uncomfortable to sit down for too long before I need to move around.
    I am also aware that my posture is again changing giving me additional back problems due to walking at an angle due to the pain.
    But I have at least been allowed to start light lifting as long as I use my wrist splint until my 8 week check up.
    Ostioarthritis has a great deal to answer for & I am sure that many others are in The same boat.

• stickywicket
    Well, it's a milestone, even if not everything in the arthritic garden is sunny. My own wrists fused themselves – one perfectly straight, the other slightly less so but both very usable. I don't remember ever having the numbness but, as mine was a DIY job, presumably there were differences. I hope yours eases in time. Could alterations be made at work with your computer, keyboard etc?

Every cloud has a silver lining. Your hips forcing you to move about regularly is exactly what we should all do anyway, arthritis or not. Sitting at a keyboard, or anywhere else, for too long is not good for anyone. I don't know how long hip resurfacing is meant to last but maybe new ones might be on the horizon.

As for your back – despite an extremely uneven gait, mine's pretty good if you ignore my neck which is a disaster area. Maybe regular back exercises could help. Or swimming?
    Steven Wright
  • viewmaster
    Well, it's a milestone, even if not everything in the arthritic garden is sunny. My own wrists fused themselves – one perfectly straight, the other slightly less so but both very usable. I don't remember ever having the numbness but, as mine was a DIY job, presumably there were differences. I hope yours eases in time. Could alterations be made at work with your computer, keyboard etc?

Every cloud has a silver lining. Your hips forcing you to move about regularly is exactly what we should all do anyway, arthritis or not. Sitting at a keyboard, or anywhere else, for too long is not good for anyone. I don't know how long hip resurfacing is meant to last but maybe new ones might be on the horizon.

As for your back – despite an extremely uneven gait, mine's pretty good if you ignore my neck which is a disaster area. Maybe regular back exercises could help. Or swimming?
    Thanks Sticky, sometimes I don't know how Inwould cope if it was not for the support & ideas from this forum.
    So glad we are all able to offer each other ideas about what we have found works & what does not.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
  • stickywicket
    Definitely :D

How are things now for you?
    Steven Wright
  • viewmaster
    Hi Sticky, I have my last review next Wednesday with my surgeon just to make sure all is well with both my wrists in one hospital in the morning.
    Then in the afternoon have another review of my knee replacement at a different hospital in the afternoon.
    I have been struggling more from a mental point of view in having to stop being able to do many simple DIY tasks, although I do still try to find a new way or tool that can help me still do some things.
    Now it hopefully is getting warmer I can get outside a bit more which I find helps with all my joints, am now getting a lot of problems with my feet making it difficult to walk more than a few steps.
    So glad I bought a half size Segway to get around my garden & drive area allowing me to still keep my independence.
    It's just a shame that they are not classified as a mobility device as they are much more useful for different conditions preventing walking far.
    So much easier to use in shops & pedestrian areas.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
  • stickywicket
    Trying to find new ways of doing things is good for us both in mind and body and a bit of sunshine cheers the soul too.

As for feet, do you have orthotic insoles? If not, might it be worth asking for a referral to an orthotist?

Segway? Writing as someone who can be knocked over by the slightest jostle or by having to step sideways quickly, I wouldn't want them anywhere near a pavement or store. Even on Venice Beach, California (Hardly the most authoritarian of resorts) they have to stick to the cycle lane.

Good luck with the appointments.
    Steven Wright