The last few days

mig
mig Member Posts: 7,154
edited 18. Feb 2019, 04:05 in Living with arthritis
Hi Everyone,Thank you for all your good wishes.
On friday I saw the consultant I will be under when I start treatment ,which will be a week on monday,but before them I have to have a series of procedures,monday after noon I will be a special heart scan which will show in detail how my heat is doing tuesday and wednesday it will be a petct which shows in 3D all that is going on and also one im not looking forward to a bone marrow aspiration .
After we got home just after teatime friday the phone rang is was hospital asking could I go in and have some fluids as blood tests show my calcium levels were too high
I ended up staying in overnight and didn't get home till just in time for the rugby.
I have had to stop all meds except my ramipril, the consult said the combination of chemo I will get will help the arthritis .
While I was in overnight ( it was a short stay ward for cancer patients) It finally dawned on me I HAVE CANCER but it still doesn't seem real.Mig

Comments

• Hodgy
    Hodgy Member Posts: 37
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I don't really know what to say. I'm pretty new here. Just that reading your posts I just wanted to send you lots of love, hugs and say stay strong and brave. I cannot imagine what you are going through but i think you are pretty amazing for being as courageous as you are. X
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Mig..
    I can understand it just hitting you, I have had so many family and friends suffer form cancer they say once you get over the initial shock then you begin to fight back..and knowing you .. :) the fight is there..
    I am glad to hear the treatment will help the arthritis while your meds are stopped..wishing you well with your treatment..and we are all here to support you.. t4591
    Love
    Barbara
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    mig, do you know yet what chemo regime you will be on? I do hope you will find it as easy to cope with as I did when I had cancer. My advice is to visit the Maggies Centre which is on the NCH campus. There is also a Macmillan centre in the main hospital. They are both wonderful, full of advice and very supporting. XXXX

t4591 t69044 t69044 t69044 t69044 t69044 t69044 t4591

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Hi Mig - we are all thinking of you loads t4591 t4591 t4591 and will always be under the cloak / or in pocket to support at every opportunity

Firstly for the heart scan, is that an echochardio I wonder?

Then the dual CT and radiotracer (IV), bit drawn out but otherwise ok, the worst bit is lying still. If you want to move, let them know, they can see and hear you at all times.

The bone marrow aspiration is uncomfortable, they will give you plenty of local anaesthetic to the area of choice, pelvis or sternum usually. It feels strange and can be a bit ouch when they take the sample. ((())) for all the above and we will be there, we will all be very quiet

So you had an overnight stay, for bloods etc. It will seem very unreal for sure, almost like walking in treacle. Lots of love t4591 t4591
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • BettyMac
    BettyMac Member Posts: 201
    Hi Mig
    Sorry to hear you’re having to deal with this.

My husband had Non Hodgkins Lymphoma but after treatment has been in remission for a few years.

I hope it goes well for you too!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I'm thinking of you. ((( ))) xxx DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello Mig
    . you can do this you have us behind you all the way((((())))
    . take care we are waiting to help let us know
    . joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi Mig
    Thinking of you as you start your journey to rid your body of the cancer. Just to say I had non Hodkins lymphoma 10 years and I am still here to tell the tale.
    May you find the chemo regime goes well and it doesn't upset your system too much. Just a little tip, I found anything with ginger helped me.
    Take care. Gentle hugs.
    ChrisK
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Hi Mig. Sending gentle hugs and positive thoughts. I will be holding you in my thoughts and prayers. Xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Mig, you know we're all with you all the way. Personally, I'd find Betty Mac and Mod ChrisK's posts so encouraging.

When I was on chemo my arthritis was pretty good. Remember meth started life as a chemo drug.

It will be tough but so are you.

((( )))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    Im really grateful and encouraged by the support my gang on here are giving me.Yesterday it was heart scan,wednesday its a meeting with the consultant and I will meet my dessignated nurse,thursday petct scan and friday bone marrow taken( my daughter is on the bone marrow register she said she won't charge me much if i need some :lol: )monday start chemo.
    My family have sorted out a rota for taking me to appointments and back home again.Mig
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Mig it's encouraging to hear that things are so organised and progressing. We are so lucky to have the good old NHS which although creaking at the seams is there for us through thick and thin.

Sending hugs for you family too. they'll be struggling alongside you, no doubt full of fears , but whatever, a family pulling together is a fearsomely strong thing that gets us through all sorts! t69044
    xxxx
  • stickywicket
    You have the family you deserve, mig, and their, and our support will be with you throughout.

It's going to be an exhausting week of appointments so please take it easy whenever you can.

Your daughter is clearly all heart, just like her Mum :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    I won't be around tomorrow, Mig, but I will be thinking of you very much. DD

🌹
  • mig
    My daughter has two days off work she has been cooking and freezing things for hubby and me for when I probably don’t feel like doing it,we have shepherds pie,bolognaise,chicken in tomato sauce,she made a big saucepan full of the tomato sauce which she will portion out we have tortellini and gnocchi and there will be enough to have just pasta with cheese.Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    Mig my lovely, that is superbly sensible preparation for the future: your girl done very good, what a blessing and treasure she is. DD
  • barbara12
    Hi mig how lovely of your family to rally round with the transport,one less thing to worry about,you can concentrate on getting better..
    I see that Betty and mod Chris have gone through the same,so nice of them to post for you.
    Will be thinking about you and sending many gentle healing hugs (()) t4591 t4591
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi mig

It's at times like this we know why we had children....only joking, but my Mum used to say she knew I'd come in handy one day!

Seriously your family are rallying round because of all you've done for them and I think it's lovely.

Lucy had a bone aspiration a month if you remember as part of her protocol for her leukaemia. If you are scared some clinics do offer gas and air or sedation. We used to sing very very loudly "In the jungle the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight..." nurses are usually happy to join in.

Sending ((())) a bucket of strength full to the brim in the café when you need it.

Love

Toni xxx
  • mig
    Been to see consultant today ,last week he asked if I would take part in a drug trial I took the paper home to read we all read the info and decided to take part in it,I will get the drugs they have planned for me plus the new drug or a placebo so my first chemo will be a week on monday part of and the next part on tuesday,I had ten vials of bloods taken some of which the drug company wanted.So tomorrow will be petct and friday bone scan and will see the consultant next wednesday,so far I have passed all the tests that the new drug company required.I have been given some steroids to take after I have had the petct which will help with my arthritis ,tablet that should keep gout at bay and a tummy protector .I will be so glad when the weekend is here.Love to all MIG X
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Mig,

I'm really sorry to read what you are going through.

I hope that the treatment isn't too gruelling for you and that all the support your very loving family has organised makes this as easy a journey as possible for you.

I'm in your pockets for your forthcoming tests and treatment. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you get the all-clear very quickly.

Take care of yourself,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    mig, I knew a lot of BC patients who were fortunate to be invited to take part in drug trials. They were given absolutely wonderful care. I hope you do well on your treatment. My District Nurse had Lymphoma and his treatment included Ritiximab, which many RA patients are given. I've had it for my Vasculitis.

t69044 t69044 t69044 t69044 t69044 t69044 t69044 t69044

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• stickywicket
    Thinking of you, mig. ((( )))
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    You do seem to be getting good treatment there Mig..I will be thinking about you and wishing you well.. t4591
    Love
    Barbara
  • mig
    Had bone marrow done today wasn’t as bad as I thought it would,once the anesthitic (sp) had been done didn’t feel a thing. My calcium levels have gone up again so got to go on Monday for more bloods. Love to all and thanks to all for your messages. Mig X
  • mig
    Just had a call from hospital want me in over night for more fluids.