Also Saying HI

basketcase99
basketcase99 Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi all need help, like most and understanding from others.
I am 51 single male parent of 2 teenage kids. I have Degenerative Spinal Disc Disease and had 2 operations screws and plates inserted back in 2006. After years of pain i was seen again but the surgeons had another MRI to also be diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in both hips and lower back. Though it was just my back issues causing my ability not to sleep and unable to sometimes turn over in bed without excruciating pain, but its a double bubble with both. Total nightmare, wake up sweating profusely and unable to move.
Been on loads of meds currently have Gabapentin for the arthritis which was also meant to help me get sleep...... Yeh right ... so here i am.
Here to help and support as a giver and receiver.
Best Wishes to all..

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello basketcase – I love the name!!

Welcome to the Versus Arthritis forum on behalf of the Moderating team.

I am sorry to hear you have developed Osteoarthritis in your hips and back now too on top of your degenerative disc disease. Many people on here have thought their ‘back pain’ was their backs and it has turned out to be their hips.

You have found a great community here willing to help and support as givers and receivers too so join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome!

Best wishes

Ellen
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Basketcase99, I love your username and, frankly, as a parent and grandparent, I think two teenage kids are quite enough to account for it without the added problems of creaky bones :roll:

I have RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) which, because when I was diagnosed back in the Dark Arthritic Ages, had none of the modern drugs with which to hold it back, resulted in OA (osteo) too. My back (neck apart) is my best feature but the rest of me is a mess.

All I can tell you is that OA loves to step in at the site of a former injury and that, if your spinal problems affect your gait, that is all the invitation it needs. It's a b*mmer.

Personally, I rely heavily on exercises and distraction but it might be different if the problem is your back. When did you last change your bed / mattress? They reckon we only get 10 years out of them so if it's more than that I'd be thinking of a new one. I love my 3/4(?) sprung 1/4(?) memory foam but everyone has their own favourites.

Have you ever been to a Pain Clinic? They can be good at...well....sorting out pain relief. Unfortunately, the stronger the meds the more they take us away from real life. Recently, I had to be on some exceptionally strong ones, briefly, and I could only guarantee to be awake in the mornings. I hated it.

It 's lovely that you want to give as well as get. I hope someone will be along who can offer better advice to you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright