What causes hip and shoulder bursitis on both sides?

Megrose2
Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
edited 15. Feb 2019, 11:37 in Living with arthritis
I have OA in many joints and also bursitis in both hips. For the past year I've also had pain in both shoulders. I saw a GP last summer who said my shoulders were 'catching', but it was probably the hot weather. Unfortunately, it hasn't gone away. It's particularly noticeable at night as it's painful to lie on either side. I also have tingling down my right arm. I've done a little research and it looks like impingement or shoulder bursitis.

So, I've got the bursitis in both hips and now, perhaps, bursitis in both shoulders. Everything I've read only mentions bursitis on one side. I'd be very interested to know if anyone can tell me what causes bursitis like this. I don't run marathons and I don't play tennis, so over action isn't the cause. Is it just wear and tear? I'm puzzled why it's appeared over the past few years and in both sides at once. I suppose what i'm really asking is if it's possible that there's something else going on if the bursa are swollen and irritated. I'm going to mention it to the GP the next time I see her. Thanks if anyone can help.

Meg

Comments

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I have oa in most joints and have similar thing to you in my shoukders, both are worn, I get pins and needles down one side and referred pain down the othrr, I've been to the MSK team who passed me on to a rheummy, the hospital has refused me an appointment, I ended up in the Pajn Clinic who referred me to a rheummy, and gyess what, yes the hospital refused me an appoinment, my gps referral did the same.

I do occasionally get burcitis in my hip and it goes away after a while, the numbness and hot burning is always with me.

My gp says its jyst mire arthritis and my treatment won't change.

NHS, great fun isn't it, not!

I use a shaped hard pillow from IKEA, on top of another irdinary pillow, it supports my head and stops sp much pressure on my shoulders. I was first diagnosed at 25 and am 60+ now, arther hapoens at any age.
  • Megrose2
    So sorry that you're having to put up with this too. It's not nice, is it? I saw a rheumatologist three years ago when I first started with the hip bursitis and injections hadn't worked. He told me to rub on Ibuprofen gel (useless), said it was all part of my fibromyalgia - something my GP disagreed with - and discharged me back to the GP. It's interesting that your GP has linked it to your arthritis.

Thanks for mentioning the pillow you've got which helps you. I'm definitely going to look for something similar, as nights are the worst when you can neither lie on one side nor the other. And I can't sleep on my back at all!

Thanks for your reply. Take care.

Meg
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    This might, or might not, help. https://tinyurl.com/y5sp9b2h From what I can make out it sounds as if it's not altogether uncommon but could be caused by something else so I think it's a good plan to ask your GP. Please keep us in the loop, Megrose, and I do hope help will be forthcoming.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose2
    Thank you for the link, Sticky, I hadn't seen this before. The article explains it all quite well, but I still can't understand why bursitis should be linked to arthritis. Anyway, I will ask the GP next time and will see what she says. Thanks again.

Meg
  • HCAcomm1
    HCAcomm1 Member Posts: 9

I've had painful shoulders for many years due to my job, the pain has been more muscular and usually goes after a few weeks but not this time. I've been having theraputic massages for years, but 3 weeks ago I had a massage and since then my left shoulder is really painful. The pain is now constant, my GP after a phone consultation is querying bursitis, and has told me to see how it is in a few weeks. As I have OA in other joints, I wonder if it's now in my shoulder. Has anyone else had a similar experience with a massage, or been diagnosed with bursitis then it's found to be OA . Thank you in advance.

Roni