Hello everyone

Tracyt63
Tracyt63 Member Posts: 6
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hello everyone
I’ve got osteoarthritis of the knee, I’ve seen the dr who has referred me to physio and prescribed co codamol wgich I’ve not taken too much, I will be going back next week as the pain has been so much worse especially at night keeping me awake and the pain is unbearable ,it’s making me very low, just been on annual leave and due to return on Monday but as I’m a housekeeper , the physical pressure is going to be too much, I feel like I need a rest but feel bad for my colleagues,would like some tips and advice as have felt so alone lately , maybe I should have a X-ray
I am a 55 year old woman
Thank you for reading 🙂🙂

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Tracy and welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear you've been diagnosed with painful osteoarthritis, something which the forum members can all empathise with.

Pain, poor sleep, continuing fatigue and the emotional fallout from it all can be very debilitating. It is well worth reading through some of the ways you might try to manage your condition in the section on our website "Managing your symptoms" -

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/

Do come back and tell us how you get on with your doctor and the physio appointment.

You can also ring in complete confidentiality to talk to our
    Helplines, free Mon - Fri 9am - 8pm on 0800 5200 520

All best wishes
    Brynmor
  • Tracyt63
    Thank you for your welcome , I’ve been reading all the helpful advice and know that more knowledge is such an asset , I will speak to my employer on Monday about changing my role at work
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I have OA in both ankles, both knees and both hips, it was diagnosed in 2011 and came about as a result of my other arthritis which began in 1997 when I was 37.

I keep my pain relief to the minimum because, after so many years, I know what's what and that it is not going to get any better, let alone go away. I use 30/500 cocodamol, they blunt enough of an edge to let me get on with things. Pain relief does not banish the pain, it merely dulls it and the stronger the medication the more we are removed from the pain rather than the other way round. Ongoing pain affects many areas of our lives, especially sleep; my nights of long, restful and refreshing snoozing are long gone so to help me get the best of what I can I take two cocos between 8-9pm to help me settle then another two around 5-6am to prepare me for getting up. This means that if I need a top-up around noon I can and usually two paracetamol are enough to resume the dulling. To counteract the constipation I eat nuts seeds and prunes
    all wrapped up in Greek yoghurt.

I was fortunate in that I was self-employed so could tailor things to suit myself, I managed to carry on for seventeen years before realising that I was not functioning sufficiently well to benefit my clients (I was a tutor for dyslexics). We had another member on here who was also a housekeeper but I haven't seen her name for some time, I don't know why.

Osteoarthritis is the most common form of the disease and many do not understand the impact it can have on our lives, they associate it with the elderly and it only causing a few aches and pains on damp days. If only. :roll: I have had a tough week and am very tired, I cannot think of anything else to say apart from the fact we all get it because we've all got it. Take care and please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello :D

That's a tough job to be doing with an arthritic knee. I think it's a good plan to ask your employer for help. Quite what that will involve I've no idea but, as DD says, 'GraceB' is also a housekeeper and has had both knees operated on. I'm sure she'll help if she can but, as she's not a 'frequent flyer' on here, why not try PMing her? She might find it and reply. (Tell her I sent you :wink: )

No wonder you're feeling low with it all. It's no coincidence that many people with arthritis need antidepressants. Maybe something to mention to the doc when you see him / her.

No-one likes being dependent on medication and, frankly, many of us on here regard the term 'painkiller' as a misnomer but, equally, we need meds to enable us to function. You doc might prescribe anti-inflammatories and / or more pain relief but probably not the latter if you're not always taking what you have. I'm a big believer in as few pain meds as possible but, sometimes, that's not possible. Maybe something stronger to help you sleep at night?

An x-ray will show the extent of the damage but that's about it. It's unlikely you'd be a candidate for a new knee at this stage and, even if you were, your 'youth' could be a factor.

My advice would be to press on with the physio, tell the doc how bad it is, especially at night, and how low it's all making you feel. I hope, that way, something will change for the better.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Tracyt63
    Hi Thank you for your replies , ready helpful advice ,
    I went to see dr and she advised about taking co codamol, lthroughout the day with paratcetomol and taking 2 at night , I took her advice and had a good sleep last night , which was good, I had my x Ray today , just need to wait for result,
    I haven’t had a chance to speak to my manager as yet,think she will probably say I won’t be able to have a different position as she’s not very forthcoming .i am also about 3 stone overweight so I am starting my healthy eating and doing more exercise, I love swimming so I think that will help too
  • stickywicket
    Hey, you've been busy! Well done!

And you have plans too. GraceB, whom I mentioned previously, also lost a great deal of weight using, I believe, Slimmers World (Other programmes are available :wink: ). Her determination was exemplary especially given that she had lots of emotional issues to contend with at the same time. I wish you the best of luck with the weight loss and, if you need encouragement, just start a thread on Chit Chat. Our members are great at supporting such ventures.

I'm glad you now have a meds regime which is helping. I presume your GP explained that it's important, however you mix the paracetamol and co-codamol, not to take more than 4,000mgs paracetamol in 24 hours. Paracetamol is a very safe drug when taken correctly but a dangerous one to take too much of. I do hope they continue to help.

As for work - there are things they are bound by UK law to do. Have a read of the government guidelines here http://tinyurl.com/npmydas

Oh and swimming is an excellent exercise for us because the water supports our bodies while we're doing it. Do start gently though and build up slowly. Some people set off like a rocket then give up because of the payback. Stop while you still feel you can do more. And good luck with it all.
    Steven Wright
  • Tracyt63
    Hi
    Just an update on my diagnosis, I phoned the dr up for results of x ray and they said no bodies in my kneecap, but wear and tear and early onset of arthritis, I asked if I need to have appt but they said only if I have chronic pain which I have and am walking with a limp from the pain at the moment so will phone in morning for emergency appt, I ve got a physio appt first thing tomoro as well and am due back at work tomorrow but having struggled at work all weekend, I’m a housekeeper in a carehome so very physical, I think I will call in sick which I feel so bad but know I need to put myself first but feel like I’m letting my colleagues down but just can’t manage the work how I feel at the moment , was just wondering what other pain relief I could have, I’ve been given co-codemol which does knock me out abit and I feel abit of a zombie , my leg feels very stiff as well
  • stickywicket
    There are other pain meds and also anti-inflammatory meds but your GP is the best one to advise you on them. Once we have fóund a level of pain that we can tolerate life becomes easier.

I hope the appointments go well. Please let us know.
    Steven Wright
  • Tracyt63
    Just an update from my appointments
    Physio went well , she to,d me to carry on as I was and with weight loss and swimming it will only have a positive effect..fingers crossed!
    Also Doctors was good too, he gave me naproxen and codiene for night time as having trouble sleeping, I think my leg has got inflammation so hopefully naproxen will help,I also back at work tomorrow but hopefully only light duties , any advice on work would be appreciated ,I do 5 days one week and 4 the next although it is only 25 a week the fifth day is Lways too much and the 4 days is longer to make up the hours , I’m going to ask my manager I feel I can reduce my hours to 20 so I only work 4 days , not sure what my rights are as she isn’t the most approachable person ! Thank you for reading 👍
  • stickywicket
    In a rush so apologies for being brief.

Check out 'lozza's' thread 'Equalities Act' on Living With Arthritis. It's about 20 topics down. Very relevant for you. Hope it helps :D
    Steven Wright