Options
Annemarais
Annemarais Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi everyone, I have had arthritis for approx 20 years. Given that I am very humbled when I read other peoples stories. Nevertheless I had to give up a job which I loved & am house bound. I have asked for a copy of the exercises as I realise that improving my lot is totally up to me. I do get very lonely as I was a very active person. Love this website!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Annemarais

Welcome to the forum, it’s lovely to meet you. I can find the link for exercises if you like, just let me know a few more specifics about particular joints or exercise in general.

I have autoimmune and osteoarthritis, the first is my body attacking itself and the second is that the cartilage is wearing away too quickly. I’ve had one new knee (recently) and will need more in the future - though I am very pleased that I can now ride my bike again, I’m looking forward to the warmer weather!

I too left work early, luckily I got early retirement. I found it lonely that all my friends were at work when I was at my best during the day, by the time they got home I was wilting fast! I eventually investigated the U3A which has been great, lots of new friends, learning new things and continuing with favourite pastimes.

Might that work for you? It does involve going out but not usually far, I can drive a little or I get a lift.

Do check in again soon so I can help you find some more specific help

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Hello Annemarais and welcome from me too. I've had RA and OA for many years but, touch wood, never been housebound. Could you explain a bit?

I'm very lucky in that, although I don't drive any more and can't walk far at all, I have a husband who does drive and some good friends who would ensure I could get to things even if he didn't.

There are lots of walking aids about. I can't use sticks or crutches as I trip over my sticking out feet :roll: but I keep toying with the idea of a scooter or rollator.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I have PsA and OA, some joints have one, some the other and others both. This time of year is always grim with the OA but better times are ahead when the PsA can have its turn :lol: I am lucky in that I can drive and have no objection to using walking aids, they enable me to go further and do more which is a good thing. I began back in 1997 so have a few arthritic years under my belt now, having a creaky foot in both camps is not fun but it is what it is and it will do what it will do: doesn't mean it will win though.

I hope you find the forum to be of interest and I hope to hear from you again soon: many say hello and that's it! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Annemarais and a warm welcome form me
    Like you I had to give up a good job..would you believe fitness in instructor..I have had both hips replaced and I am pleased with them..and some other ops on the horizon..
    I am glad you have joined us..its really does help to talk about things especially with people that understand..so I look forward to seeing your name around the forum..x
    Love
    Barbara