Injection in spine

Lotsofpain
Lotsofpain Member Posts: 157
edited 21. Feb 2019, 09:38 in Living with arthritis
I have chronic osteoarthritis in my back and hips , the worst thing is the stiffness . I am scheduled for an steroid injection

will it help

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. They only mask what is going on and, if effective, will run out after three months or so, leaving you back where you began.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • wazz42
    wazz42 Member Posts: 233
    Hi,

I’ve had injections in knees, hips and shoulders. As DD says with mixed results. I’ve always gone along every 6 months for new ones though because they can work. If injection in March doesn’t work it doesn’t mean the September one won’t work. I think it might be that the exact spot is needed and this might vary very slightly and if the injection is spot on it works.

For you the injection is guided - the doctor can see exactly where the injection is headed. Therefore there’s a good chance of success.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    hi Lotsofpain
    Initially mine did help..and brought lots of relief..I had around 2 a year for 3 years.sadley after that they didnt work has good, they are guided under Xray and the steroid they put in helps the inflammation..wishing you well with them..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Brenda689
    Brenda689 Member Posts: 3
    Had this done several times unfourtuntley it didn't work for me.
    Ask for some sedation before the procedure as it can be uncomfortable without
    As they use live x-ray during the procedure so they know exactly where to inject
    Good luck
  • Lotsofpain
    Lotsofpain Member Posts: 157
    Well had the injection yesterday , was sedated so don't remember much about it. Feeling battered today will have to wait some days to see if has any effect, consultant said more likely to affect pain than stiffness but we live in hope. Will see him in 4 weeks for review
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to hear a follow-up from you: I hope it does everything you want it to for a decent length of time. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Thanks for the update. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees that injections will work but my fingers are crossed for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright