Hi

Mummybear53
Mummybear53 Member Posts: 8
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Having taken a long time to come to terms with the fact that I have OA, I have finally taken the plunge and signed up. I have one new hip and am awaiting the second but am in constant pain. Also a two time Breast Cancer patient so the medication I take doesn’t help. Life sucks sometimes doesn’t it but I have a wonderful family so have a lot to be grateful for. And a good G&T helps!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Mummybear
    welcome, thank you for joining our lovely community. Yes you are certainly amongst people who understand how painful Osteoarthritis can be. You might find this section of our website on pain useful especiall the section on treatment for long term pain and going down the page https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/managing-your-pain/
    Do you have a date for your second hip replacement? I am sure our members will support you and share their experiences with you. Keep us up to date with how you are getting on, we always like to hear how people are progressing and support where we can
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I like the last sentence :D Even though I'd prefer a single malt :lol:

Hello and welcome. I'm glad you took the plunge. I'm a veteran of 2 x hips and 3 x knees but I started with RA as a young sprog of 15 and am now a looooong way from there :wink:

I've also had breast cancer but just the one breast and it was yonks ago - about 25 years. I just had to take tamoxifen afterwards for two years then that was that. How horrible that you're still on the meds.

Please join in anywhere on here. Living With Arthritis is the most popular forum. Ask away if you have questions and please feel free to contribute if you have any answers or relevant thought anywhere.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I have psoriatic arthritis which led in turn to osteoarthritis, no replacement joints and won't be having any either as there is no point. In addition to painful joints I also have painful muscles thanks to bouts of fibromyalgia, life is to be lived the hard way, there is no other method. :lol: I began when I was 37 and will soon be 60 so I am used to it.

Of the two I prefer the OA as it is more honest in how it presents, I know it will be worse in the autumn and winter and it is. When I overdo things at least the inflammation in the joints is localised and goes away with rest. I also know that I can aggravate it by eating too much acidic foods, so I don't. It's nice being able to exercise some degree of control over matters - or at least think I am. The psoriatic likes the spring and summer, as pollen levels rise my immune system comes under further attack and if the arthritis flares (as it can despite the meds) the inflammation affects the while body and the effects last for weeks or months which is horrid. My OA does not flare, I aggravate it: there is a difference.

I hope you find the forum to be of interest, we have many readers but new posters are very welcome! I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben