How soon for a second hip replacement?

Mummybear53
Mummybear53 Member Posts: 8
edited 23. Feb 2019, 06:44 in Living with arthritis
Hi
Hoping that you can give me some advice/experiences.I had a tho on 26 November and, whilst I’m sure my surgeon wouldn’t appreciate his years of study and experience being dismissed like this, it’s been magic! No pain and I’m not limping on that side.
BUT I have already been told that I need the other side done (it was a toss up which side they did first) and I have an appointment for January 2020. The surgeon did say that I could go back if there were any problems.
Well there are. My right hip is agony. I’m starting to drag my right leg and I’m back trying to find painkillers that will do something to alleviate the pain. In your experience am I going back too early? I am still doing my exercises but am severely limited with the pain.
I’d love some advice.
Anne
xx

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi mummybear
    Welcome to the forum,what a shame after one hip being done you are still suffering pain in the other hip,I would go back to your GP and inform them that the benefits of your op is being spoilt by the pain in your other hip if it was me that is.Everyone has been through pain and will understand what you are going through if you chat on the forum they will not be long before they reply. The most popular forums are Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat.
    All the best Christine
  • viewmaster
    viewmaster Member Posts: 31
    Hi Mummybear,
    I had both my hips done with 4 months inbetween.
    This gave my body chance to get over the traumer of the first opp & let it fully heal before doing it all again.
    But they were scheduled to be done as close together as they could be due to how bad they were & I was only just 40.
    Again it depends on your local hospital waiting list as to how quickly you can get scheduled.
    Wish you well in your recovery & in getting your pain from the other side under control until it's done.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
  • Mummybear53
    That’s really helpful. Thank you. I shall be making an appointment to see the GP and also asking for a pain management programme. It’s really cheered me up!.
    Anne
    Xx
  • viewmaster
    Great, this forum is based on shared experiences & helping each other with support & ideas to try.

• danm2010
    danm2010 Member Posts: 32
    Hey, I’m just waiting on getting an appointment to organise my first op, I’m 32 and have no cartilage in my left hip and damage on my right. What’s the recovery like? How long does it take to recover as I’m trying to go back to work as soon as possible. Does the replacement stop you lifting 25kg? I need to support my family so the longer I’m off work the more they are affected - I’ve struggled every day and managed to only take the one day off! - god knows how!

Do you have to be awake?

Sorry just trying to find out as much as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • viewmaster
    Hi Danm
    I was aware but not awake via an epidural for my hips.
    If it is only the joints that are giving you issue & when your body has recovered you should be able to perform normally!
    But everyone is different & I am on no way able to give you medical advice, just my experience.
    I was doing a very physical job before my hips failed due to ostioarthritis, but due to complications on my second hip, my physical work had to stop as I was left with a dropped foot & nerve dammage.
    This is highly unlikely but due to how long my operation took & the length of time the surgery had my leg crushing the nerves.
    All surgery carry a risk & it has not put me off having further joint replacements & surgeries which have all had good recovery & outcome.
    Think everyone will be able to agree that you should be pain free & able to live a normal life

• Mummybear53
    Hi
    My first hip replacement went well. I had both epidural and ga and the epidural does give you extra pain relief. The ‘Hip Club ‘ (!) I went to at the hospital told me that for the first few weeks you will hate your surgeon, at the 6 week check up you will think about forgiving them and by 6 months you will love them. I already love him and it’s been 3 months. It is uncomfortable at first but you do get painkillers and they will bang on about doing your exercises! But it’s the best advice - it does speed up your recovery. My leg and foot did swell up afterwards but that’s gone down. Oh and I HATED the compression stockings- but you do need to wear them!
    Good luck.
    Anne
    xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I had my hips done years apart but my knees both needed doing at the same time. Back then they didn't do both together so I had the first one at the beginning of April and the second at the beginning of June. Both very successful. I hope all goes well for you. Do keep doing the exercises on both legs, though.

Danm2010 – this excellent sheet will help you but the thing to remember about THRs is not to dislocate them. This is something to be extremely careful about at first and routinely aware of always. Personally, I'd think 25k was too much, especially if we're talking about from ground level but the medics would know better than I. One thing I'd emphasise is the vital importance of not rushing the recovery. That's a recipe for disaster. https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/surgery/hip-replacement-surgery/
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright