New Member with Osteoarthritis

Options
Cazza
Cazza Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hello my name is Carole, I have Osteoarthritis in most joints, the most painful is my lower back which I also have Spinal Stenosis & DDD
I am 57 years of age, the DDD I have started since my 4th daughter was born through a Caesarean Section at the age of 35, this then led to the Osteoarthritis and Spinal Stenosis
The medication I am taking for the pain is Oxycodone and Tramadol although I have gone through many things to include Fentanyl, Brutan Patches, Zomorph
I also try and manage my pain via heat applied by my best friend the hot water bottle and epsom salt baths
I'd love to hear form how others in the same situation manage their pain

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Cazza,

Welcome to our forum! Degenerative Disc Disease, spinal stenosis and osteoarthritis of the back and other joints sounds quite interesting. For me it’s osteoarthritis in coccyx and neck area, with widespread joints affected so I have some idea how you may be feeling.

Forum members as a group are well versed in treatment options - I have a snazzy green gel hot water bottle which is great, my lovely son and family bought me a 'radiator bear'. He’s supposed to go in the microwave too but I can’t cope with that, so he sits on the radiator ready for action.

I’m a fan of distraction too - I like reading, puzzles, tv and radio and I’ve begun learning to paint and speak Welsh so I’ve quite a bit to choose from depending on how alert I am feeling when I’m fairly sedentary and gardening and strolling when I’m able to get around.

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I have psoriatic arthritis which in turn led to osteoarthritis, some joints have one, some the other and others both. I am very lucky in that my spine remains (as yet) unaffected but the time will probably come (with arthritis it usually does). I keep my pain relief to the minimum now, in my early days I flirted with the stronger stuff but as it did not remove the pain I couldn't see the point: I taught myself to prefer being in pain and alert as opposed to being unable to function due to an opioid fog. I have around forty affected joints so something is always twanging away - at least the OA behaves decently in that I know when it is going to be tough so an element of management and control can apply to that one, the other is far more devious and sly. My OA does not flare, I or the weather aggravate it but the other, when that gets the bit between its teeth, affects my whole body for weeks.

Heat undoubtedly helps, I haven't tried the Epsom salts yet but may well do very soon, the PsA is greatly affecting my fingers at the moment so any port which might offer some shelter from this ghastly storm seems like a plan. My go-to pain relief is always distraction, if I am not focused on the pain I feel it less. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hello from me too.

I'm sorry you have so much pain in so many places. I have RA and OA in most joints but knees and hips have been replaced and ankles, wrists and some finger and toe joints have fused themselves which all makes for far less pain.

I regard distraction as my best pain relief, coupled with exercises. I try to keep busy one way or another but regularly changing from something sedentary to something more physical. This morning I've put the washing in the machine, got breakfast, washed up, tidied up the bedroom and bathroom and am now sitting at the computer for a rest.

Like DD, I aim for as little pain relief as possible as I don't find it very effective. Recently, I was put on oxycodone when some cement broke off from my hip replacement and lodged in a painful spot. I hated it as I was so 'out of it' for most of the day. Luckily the cement seems to have moved on or dissolved and I'm back to my normal 2 x co-codamol going to bed again.

Back pain can be horrible. I had it for a few months. The physio told me what it was but I can't remember. I just did the exercises and took more co-codamol and it went. I know your situation is nowhere near as easy, though. Have you been given any exercises?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Brandon69
    Brandon69 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi I also have osteoarthritis DDD in my lower spine and cervical spine I take longtec for pain use a Wheaty bag I put in the microwave and a ibrufen gel to rub on today I need to go to the doctor's for a meds review as my current meds are not taking the pain away spent two nights up and in tears with pain 😪