New to the forum

Sambacat60
Sambacat60 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi, my name Carol, and I’m 61 years old. I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis 7 years ago. I also have have MYasthenia Gravis. I have always blamed the high dose of steroids I was prescribed for my MG for the RHeumatoid arthritis, perhaps just a coincidence.
I am veery down at the moment and having a really hard time. I lost my husband of 42 years last July and far to soon had. Complete reverse shoulder replacement three weeks ago. I have set myself back a lot. Ok am wishing at the moment I hadn’t had it done.
I have been told I won’t get much movement back in my arm and have had to come off the strong morphine bbased pain relief due to my MG.
Just need someone now to talk to and ask if anyone else on here has had this operation and how they have got on.
I know I am being hard on myself at the moment but just struggling all the way round.
Sorry for the long introduction.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Carol

Welcome to the versus Arthritis forum on behalf the Moderating Team. I am so very sorry to hear you have so much going on health-wise. Having major surgery so soon after the loss of your husband must be so hard. When we are feeling vulnerable and not our usual selves the loss of a partner can feel really heightened.

If you feel it would help please do consider telephoning our helpline 0800 520 0520. A chat to a friendly person who understands might really help.

Now back to the subject of your recent Shoulder surgery. Often surgeons will tell us that their main aim is that of pain reduction, not necessarily increase mobility of the joint, but hopefully given time you might find your range of movement may increase too. Just now you understandably feel you have taken a step backwards; recovery takes time and can vary from person to person. Try not to be too hard on yourself.

You asked whether anyone else had had something similar. I did a ‘search’ for shoulder replacement and came up with this result:

https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/search.php?keywords=shoulder+replacement&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

You might see one of the first threads is started by Crinkly1 who had the same operation only this month.

I am sure you have come to the right place to gain support Carol please do join in wherever you wish you can be sure of a very warm welcome.

Best wishes

Ellen
  • Sambacat60
    Sambacat60 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you so much. I will contact them for a chat. Just feel a bit on my own at the moment, even though I have a great family and their support. Thank you for taking the t8me to reply. I will also read as much as I can re ‘‘tis awful disease.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Carol and welcome from me too. There are a couple of people on here whom I can think of who have both RA and MG but they're not frequent visitors. It must be very tough to deal with even without such a close bereavement. I just have RA and OA.

I don't think steroids can cause RA even in high doses. It's an autoimmune disease so we carry the seeds of our own difficulties. Whatever you do, don't feel guilty about treating the MG as it had to be dealt with.

I think it's a good plan to have a chat with our lovely Helpline people. Sometimes, just talking to others and letting things out can help a great deal. I bet you've bottled a lot up so as not to bother your family.

I hope your shoulder is a big success and who knows, at this stage, how much movement you might regain? Just plough on with the exercises as they will determine a lot. A friend (albeit with only OA) had your op last year and has never looked back despite being in her 80's. Also, as Mod Ellen says, check out 'Crinkly's' thread on the Living With Arthritis forum as she's just had it too.

You must be feeling down. Operations are hard enough without them coming on top of all the rest but you must be a strong person to have dealt with it all so far. Now you have us to help as much as we can. And we will
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello my lovely, what a very tough time you are going through, I am so sorry.

I have psoriatic arthritis, osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia, I began with one joint when I was 37, now it's around forty and I will soon be 60. I was born with auto-immune issues so the auto-immune arthritis was not a surprise whereas the osteo was: I thought you had either one of the other, I never knew both was an option. Hey-ho.

I know that crinkly1 has recently had a shoulder replacement and she has posted on the Living with Arthritis board on here. There's another member with MG and osteo but she hasn't posted for a while (and I cannot recall her name). I have to go now, I am very tired and my eyes are aching - I am on my tablet thingy and it's tiring. I'm a very frequent flier on here and hope to see your name again soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • crinkly1
    crinkly1 Member Posts: 156
    Hello Carol and I'm so sorry to hear how much you are struggling, especially after your recent shoulder surgery.

As has been said, my case is different - long-standing widespread OA but no other arthritic diseases plus I have a brilliantly supportive OH and was well-prepared to deal with the practicalities after two previous shoulder operations. (I'm age 73 and, apart from OA, am normally reasonably physically active.)

It was carefully explained that pain relief is the main aim of my replacement and that any increase in range of movement will be a bonus. Much will depend on my ability to cooperate with physiotherapy over the next six months plus but there are no guarantees. I had little choice but felt it well worth sitting out the difficulties of early weeks as a straight exchange for losing the pain of the past 15 months!

I'm making regular reports on another thread after others said it is difficult to access firsthand experience of the procedure. Some of my reactions will be similar to yours but a lot may seem very different. I do know people who had less good immediate results but recovery is a lengthy process that can continue for up to a year and I can understand the frustration of the early stages. eg I'm not attempting to get into bed but am sleeping in relatively short stretches tucked up in my recliner chair, with reduced pressure on the shoulder. I'm also having problems with fluid retention and an allergic rash, which rather eclipse the post-operative pain - a sort-of built-in TENS machine!

I'll continue to think of you as you progress through the early stages of recovery, especially dealing with the psychological and emotional effects on your own. It's not an easy route to choose so don't be afraid to ask questions of the professionals in whose care you are.