Managing Arthritis

Options
SarahB
SarahB Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
๐Ÿ‘‹ all, I am 47 and waiting for my 2nd hip replacement. I am struggling with the pain and ๐Ÿ‘€ing for more IDEAS on how to cope with out the use of more drugs.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sarah
    welcome to the forum and it is lovely to have you here. In terms of managing your pain can I suggest you have a look here under the self help section https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/managing-your-pain/ I am sure other forum members will have some good ideas to share with you as well
    Let us know how you get on
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I have psoriatic and osteoarthritis and have not yet had any replacements as yet: I was refused new knees eight years ago because I was too young (I was 52) and now everything is worse I won't be bothering as the potential benefit is greatly reduced.

Some joints have one kind, some the other and others both: my knees have both kinds, my toes have the psoriatic and the hips and ankles are purely OA. Of the two I prefer the OA because it is far more honest in how it presents, I know when it is going to play up and, although there isn't much I can do in the face of the weather, at least the nonsense is localised to specific joints whereas the PsA beast affects my whole body. I keep my pain relief to the minimum (30/500 cocodamol, usually four per day) so I have room to maneouvre when needed and am a firm believer in distraction - if my mind is not focused on the pain I do not feel it as acutely. I am lucky in that I have always been unwell so used to managing cruddy stuff, I learned valuable lessons a a child when the meds did not exist and one had to make do as best one could, a good foundation for my adult life.

I think rest is important as is exercise of the right kind, the stronger the muscles surrounding the joint the better they can support it. The best kind is non-weight-bearing such as cycling and swimming, I belong to a gym and use the cross-trainer and a treadmill: I cannot cycle as the joint damage to the knees restricts the bend I can achieve and the pedals cannot be adjusted.

I wish you well with your second replacement and I hope it greatly improves the quality of your life, please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Hello from me too.

I guess it depends what you mean by 'managing'. In the immediate run-up to all my replacements I have managed to very little in the way of housework apart from bare essentials.

For pain I usually end up on my usual co-codamol (8-500) but at more or less full dose rather than my usual two at bedtime. The exercises are the main thing. When I least feel like doing them they do the most good. How did you manage last time?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright