Pocket riders for Monday 18th please :)

Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 20. Mar 2019, 06:56 in Living with arthritis
Hi my lovely forumites. My anxiety has ramped up over the past couple of days. On Monday 18th, I am travelling 130 miles for a hospital appointment. Some of you may know, I had a total jaw joint replacement on both sides in June 2017. I have gone back to where I was pre op; restricted mouth opening and uncontrollable pain. The problem is the left side. The resolution? Probably surgery, potentially 2 surgeries. I had so many complications last time and it’s on my mind.I’ll be doing this alone so I’d appreciate any pocket riders please. I need to keep rational and sensible and make sure I ask the right questions...and just breathe.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I'll be there. ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    You will certainly NOT be doing it alone. I'm definitely in too and, with DD in one pocket and me in another, you might well wish to be alone eventually. :wink:

I do remember last time. How could I forget? But, when things have gone wonky once, everyone will be forewarned and forearmed. We'll face it together, OK?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Count me in Starburst. t115006 t115006 t115006 t115006

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    hello Starburst
    . count me in has well I will be thinking of you ((((()))
    . joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • BettyMac
    BettyMac Member Posts: 201
    I’ll be there too - and hoping you get some answers and a plan that’s going to sort this.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Moderators at the ready Starburst.

Very best of luck

Ellen
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    I'll be with you as well so you definitely aren't alone. At this rate we'll fill the waiting room up. Hope there's a few chairs in the consultation room!

Hope it goes well.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Count me in. Hope it's a positive appointment with some positive plans for the future. xx
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Count me in too
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Starburst
    Thank you, lovely people. I’ll let you know how it goes.
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    I’ll be with you Starburst, I’ll bring some snacks, don’t want Sticky and DD getting hangry, goodness knows where that would lead!
    Hope all goes well x
  • Kitty
    Starburst, get plenty of sleep tonight. t115006 t4591 t115006

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• stickywicket
    Right. I'm ready and up for it. What time's kick off?
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Good luck for tomorrow, Starburst, please let us know as and when you can how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Count me in ..and wishing you well with it all...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    All the best for tomorrow, I'll be thinking of you.
  • Starburst
    Thank you for the support today and sorry we had to get up so early. I did have several kind offers from family and a friend to accompany me but the cost of the train was too much and I felt guilty spending all that money. Having pocket riders worked out perfectly.

The mystery of my jaw has not yet been solved but we are getting closer. My surgeon said he’s 95% sure my left TMJ prosthetic is not infected. However, I either have bony growth which will need surgical input or I have re-grown the synovial membrane over the prosthetic. Who knew?! Despite having a total joint replacement, a body can decided that not only does it want a new synovium but also, it’d like to attack it.

I’ve been on and off my RA meds due to infections for a while so if I could get my RA under control, I’d have a clearer picture of what’s actually going on. In terms of mouth opening, I’m nearly as restricted as I was pre op and the pain is as bad, albeit only on one side now. This whole TMJ replacement malarkey has caused no end of problems, I wouldn’t recommend it.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Sophie

Thanks for the update. Early starts are fine by me I am an early riser :) and being in your pocket we travel free by rail :lol:

So we don't quite know what is going on then?

How to they plan to find out I wonder?

I am so sorry your poor jaw is so painful and you can open your mouth still. I hope soon you can get back on your meds and can see how much is RA pain ((()))

Love

Toni xx
  • Kitty
    Sending gentle hugs Starburst, and hope you have a successful result eventually.

t69044 t69044 t69044 t69044 t69044 t69044 t69044 t69044

• stickywicket
    I guess you're getting closer to an answer but probably not close enough. And meanwhile, all is just as painful and difficult. I hope the RA meds can be resumed and that they will help a bit at least. meanwhile I send ((( ))) and my admiration for your stoicism.
    Steven Wright