Hip Osteoarthritis Pain all in my head

Options
Inuitbiker
Inuitbiker Member Posts: 15
edited 23. Mar 2019, 08:02 in Living with arthritis
Hi
I went back to see the doctor today after experiencing many more episodes where I have either stumbled or slightly knocked my leg and it has caused such severe pain in my hip I have either fully collapsed or partially collapsed at work.

I asked the doctor that I saw today what she thought would cause this and she said it was probably just a nerve because according to the xray I have plenty of joint space and I shouldnt be experiencing such severe pain for such mild arthritis. She also made a comment that it was possibly due to my emotional state.
I came away a bit upset because I know it's real pain not in my head

The question I have is for others experiencing hip osteoarthritis is are these ultra painful episodes normal.
I have the normal pain in groin and stuff which is horrible but I can deal with that

I have been asking my work for reasonable adjustments but I'm not confident they will help as my xray shows only mild arthritis despite the fact I'm collapsing at work. I am not registered as disabled so according to my union if I can't do my job due to my health issue I need to find another job. So much for support from them.
The equality act is all good and we'll but as far as I'm being told by my doctor Its not for them to determine my status. I wonder who does then.
I am going to see oc health but I'm not very optimistic as the union told me I'll probably get an assessment over the phone by the companies favourite ic health rep.

I'm going to persevere but I feel let down and I feel like I'm being pushed toward the scrapheap . I'm angry and upset because it seems if you have health issues they say you will be supported/helped but I'm finding out that it's not always the case.
I have a family to support and I'm worried about getting through this OK as jobs are not easy to get especially if your a labourer who collapses at work
Apologies for my rant. I know there's no easy solution to my problem.

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'll just give a quick reply for now as I'll be going out shortly. What can be seen on X-rays does not necessarily have bearing on what the patient is experiencing. It is possible to have 'bad' X-rays and not feel much discomfort or pain, equally it's possible, as in your case, to be experiencing pain out of all proportion - seemingly - to the level of damage showing. I fall into the latter camp so can sympathise with you. It isn't 'all in your head', but there is no doubt that our mental state can have a bearing on how well we cope and therefore how much the pain causes problems.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    There's no easy solution, that is true, but does it have to be this hard? I don't know.

I do know that there is no register of disabled people. I was on it for years until they got rid of it and decided that someone was disabled if they defined themselves as disabled. :o :? :shock: (No, me neither.) Here is the government take on it. https://www.gov.uk/definition-of-disability-under-equality-act-2010 .

As for collapsing at work, I'm not sure what you mean by that. I've had two new hips and three new knees but I've never actually fallen to the ground though, I've had long periods when I needed to walk round furniture and, as you say, when stumbling can cause acute pain which can take one's breath away briefly. I think this might well be nerve pain but I'm no expert.

I'd guess that your GP wasn't intending to imply your pain was all imaginary. There are certain things that make us experience pain more keenly such as if we are upset, anxious or depressed. Mood can definitely cause greater perception of an actual pain. And I'd guess, given your situation, you're pretty anxious right now. It won't help. Many on here find a course of antidepressants can help.

For sorting out your situation, you might find Citizens Advice useful. I know they're good on benefits and I imagine they're equally good on work problems. I'd be asking in your situation. I do hope they can help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Inuitbiker
    I have two new hips and my consultant said that xrays are no pointers to pain , he had seen people with very little bone wear but they have been in terrible pain and people with lots of wear and little pain..I used to have episode of the pain going right down into my calf and ankle..and that would floor me..
    I hope you get the help you need very soon
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have been arthritic for nearly a third of my life and I have learned one thing which applies to both of mine: what the bloods or X-rays show bear no relation to how I might be feeling. I have had wonderful blood test results and felt dreadful, felt very well and the bloods have been severely up the spout. I am fortunate in that the X-rays for the OA now show clearly that I am bone-on-bone so support my claim to be in trouble.

The perception of pain is an individual thing but you feel what you feel and do not let anyone tell you differently; after all do they have arthritis? The answer to that is usually no, they are aware of theory but have not one clue how that translates into reality for patients. Twerps. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • cwainwright
    cwainwright Member Posts: 3
    edited 23. Mar 2019, 10:40
    Options
    Hi
    I went back to see the doctor today after experiencing many more episodes where I have either stumbled or slightly knocked my leg and it has caused such severe pain in my hip I have either fully collapsed or partially collapsed at work.

I asked the doctor that I saw today what she thought would cause this and she said it was probably just a nerve because according to the xray I have plenty of joint space and I shouldnt be experiencing such severe pain for such mild arthritis. She also made a comment that it was possibly due to my emotional state.
    I came away a bit upset because I know it's real pain not in my head

The question I have is for others experiencing hip osteoarthritis is are these ultra painful episodes normal.

I've just started on this forum, and are not quite sure how to reply/use it etc. So I'm hoping to receive the correct reply :D I can totally sympathise with your situation, as my MRI last May revealed mild hip arthritis, but as you say, when the pain is bad, the mild part doesn't mean a thing. All I can say is pursue things, as you know your own body. Sometimes, it pays off to keep trying. Good luck with it, Claire

added quote-tags to show quotation of original post.
    Brynmor