Capsaicin cream

Katie1
Katie1 Member Posts: 4
edited 16. Mar 2019, 08:02 in Living with arthritis
Hello

My 65 year old mother was recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis on her hands, feet, neck and shoulder after many trips to her gp and being turned away.

She is being referred for surgery on her hands (she also has carpal tunnel and trigger finger on several fingers) and feet but this is at the beginning stages.

My mum is in constant pain and finds it hard to sleep because of it. When she does drift off she is often woken up by the pain.

She only takes painkillers (neurofen for joints and muscles) when she cannot take the pain anymore but doesnt want to keep taking them as they aren’t good for you in the long term.

I looked on the versus arthritis website a little while ago that capsaicin cream is an effective drug free pain relief. My mum has seen two different gps about getting this as we read I read it’s prescription only but both gps refused and told her it’s not as good as painkillers and wanted to send her off with painkillers and sleeping tablets instead which my mum does not want!

My reason for this post is to find out how I can get my mums hands on this cream! I can’t find it online either and feel totally helpless seeing her in pain day in day out. I wish there was something I can do for her. I would be really grateful for any help or advice.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Katie1
    Welcome to the forum sorry you can't find what you are looking for I don't know if anyone can help you but we have lots of informative people on the forum who may know. The most popular forums are Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat.
    All the best Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I just googled it and it's for sale all over the shop, eBay being a popular option, why you are having troubles finding it I don't know. It will not take all the pain away, it will only lightly ease it because that is all anything does. Whether you will be receiving the proper stuff made under sterile laboratory conditions is another matter but that is a risk people are seemingly prepared to take. I prefer the pain relief offered by my GP as that is guaranteed to be manufactured in the proper conditions with the correct ingredients. I have OA plus another arthritis, to cope I take the minimum because that way I have room to manoeuvre when things are aggravated. My OA is having the time of its life at the moment thanks to the weather but it will ease as that changes (until the next bout of low pressure :lol: ) so I have increased my 30/500 cocodamol consumption to six per day. I will soon be able to return to my usual four, yes I remain in pain but that is how it goes.

Pain is miserable, isolating and frightening, I began my arthritis when I was 37 and am now 60, pain is a way of life and always will be, such is the nature of the disease. I feel for your Mum, it is a horrid thing to live with as it affects all areas of our lives (and the lives of those around us). DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi Katie1
    it might be worth speaking to your local pharmacist as they may be able to get some in for your mum. Let us know how shes gets on
    Sharon
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,707
    Hi there, Katie1 and good for you for looking out for your Mum.

Neurofen isn't just 'a painkiller'. It's an anti-inflammatory, like ibuprofen and naproxen. They do reduce pain but by reducing the inflammation. None of us likes taking medication but sometimes it's necessary and, if your Mum's in a great deal of pain, anti-inflammatories, taken regularly will probably do far more to reduce it than capsaicin. I think the latter can help a bit, though, so, if your Mum wants it, it should be available from pharmacies. My guess (and it's only that) is that, as your Mum would need it in so many places, her GPs feel she'd be better off with something that would work on all of them but there's no harm in asking why not.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Katie1
    Katie1 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you all for your lovely responses which have been very helpful. Best wishes
  • JoeB
    JoeB Bots Posts: 83
    I've just checked my BNF (British National Formulary) and it is listed as a 'P.O.M.' - i.e. Prescription Only Medicine.

In my experience such creams as these can be useful if there is specific area of soft tissue inflammation. However, as your mother's problems are considerably more widespread and, in some areas, apparently also include bone pathology, I would not envisage a topical medication being particularly efficacious. I wonder if her GPs are thinking along similar lines. They certainly appear to be following the 'N.I.C.E' Guidelines (as they are obliged to do) :-

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg177/chapter/1-Recommendations#pharmacological-management

I would be more inclined to suggest she further discuss her concerns regarding anti-inflamatories and analgesics that she has been prescribed. Whilst her concerns are justified, these are some of the most commonly prescribed medications in existence and hence there is a huge database of information, created from experience over the last sixty or so years.

Arthur