I've bought a sewing machine.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 25. Mar 2019, 13:16 in Chit chat
Yes, I have yet again fallen under the spell of the Great British Sewing Been but also a friend recently wore a fabulous dress which I found myself studying and thinking 'I could make that.' I had a machine which I gave away when we moved because I hadn't used it for over twenty years, so I researched and bought a machine that does more and is half the size of my old one.

I have three patterns and know what material I am going to buy but I need to become really familiar with it. I plan to copy the patterns onto cheapy paper, buy plain duvet covers for fabric and practice before I buy the good stuff! DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Some of the modern machines are amazing aren't they? I sometimes wonder about getting one that can do lots of fancy stitches - blanket stitch round applique would be useful - but I have a feeling I'd just get fed up trying to remember how to get it all to work! It would be better to learn how all the gadgets on my Granny's Singer work. It's almost 100 years old, with a bolt-on electric motor, and has two small boxes of bits plus the instruction booklets. Once I started making clothes for my children I stopped using it as much because a modern swing-needle machine made seam neatening and buttonholes so much quicker and easier. Then I stopped sewing for a good few years but since moving house 4 years ago have started again.
    I don't know whether it might be relevant, or what you plan to do with the practice dresses, but charity shops can be a good source of duvet covers.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It can do twenty four stitches, Daffy, but I suspect I will be using just three: straight, zigzag and stretch stitch. The buttonholer is easy, put a button in the special foot and it automatically does all four sides to the size of the button but that won't be happening soon, I can tell you! My practice dresses will be taken apart and sewn again, I've dug out an old polycotton sheet which will do and bought a new one which is a gorgeous teal colour (and in a sale at The Range so not pricey). My favourite linen tunics are basically rectangles sewn together so they should be easy to copy using the teal. Hmmmmmm.

I have three Laura Ashley king sized covers which were destined for the charity shop and I think they will get there as they are too nice to cut up plus heavily patterned which is no longer my thing. I should have practiced today but I'm not up to it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    How exciting DD, hope to see you on next years Sewing Bee!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Options
    Good on you all. I started sewing with my mums electric one when I was about four (she was a machinist from 14 during the war making samples of canoes, lifeboat sails, barrage balloons etc etc), I still make things and do repairs. The best nachines are the simplest, they all have induction motors these days which give high torque at low revs and can punch through most naterials, £99-£199 will get you a decent one. The rest you just pay for more stitching types.

Do we get a parade of arthers new clothes?

Ppsssssstt, can anyone see ghe jeans needle on the floor?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    'Do we get a parade of arthers new clothes?'

Will it resemble The Emperor's New Clothes :o :shock: :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Options
    Yes but the materials a bit stiffer!