Earth Hour 2019

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
edited 26. Jun 2019, 11:37 in Chit chat
This year sees the 12th anniversary of Earth Hour, uniting people all over the world to protect the planet. Earth Hour is a registered charity organised by WWF.

From 8.30 pm local time tonight lights will be switched off for one hour. Iconic structures such as Sydney Harbour Bridge, the Empire State Building, The Eiffel Tower and Edinburgh Castle will all be darkened in turn.

No doubt you won't hear about this on the TV as turkeys don't vote for Christmas but, if you can bear to skip your favourite programme, texting, using the internet etc, a spot of quiet reading - or even talking to each other :o - would harm no-one. However, for safety's sake, have a light on. Just the one :wink:
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    My electricity supplier will donate £5 if I reduce my electricity use by at least 50% during that hour.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I wasn't aware of that, Sticky, but inadvertently we supported it by settling down to sleep at 8pm (in fairness to us our day was sixteen hours long by then). DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Options
    I like the idea, a financial incentive always appeals.