Compression gloves

Options
Chrabo
Chrabo Member Posts: 7
edited 13. Apr 2019, 05:11 in Living with arthritis
I’ve noticed that you can buy fingerless gloves that keep your wrist and hands warm. Any advice on whether they work and can they be obtained on prescription? Should they be tight fitting?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've no idea as I've never used them but what I have used - and they were very helpful - is orthotic wrist splints. Like any other supports they should only be used for short periods of time as they encourage muscle weakness and we need need strong muscles to support our arthritic joints but, when doing particular tasks or at the end of the day when stuff is achey, they can be very helpful albeit limiting. You can probably buy them online these days but mine were made by the orthotics people. Your GP could refer you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I tried these in my early days because my mum was a sucker for the quack adverts and, like so many people without the disease, thought she knew what it is. If you are hoping they will relieve pain and stop the progression of the disease they won't but they will support the joints a little and keep your hands warm. They have to be removed every time you wash your hands and, as your hands naturally swell during the course of the day they will become tighter and uncomfortable but they are not expensive and the only way to know is to try. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Chrabo
    Chrabo Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks for the honest opinion on the gloves, my hands get cold easily and I would hope the warmth offered to the wrist might help even if temporarily instead of applying gel all the time. I’ll ask my GP if they are avaliable on prescription.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I doubt that they will be as there is no empirical evidence of their effectiveness. Prescriptions are now £9 per item whereas on Amazon they start at £7.49. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Have a read of this Chrabo

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/splints/

Go down to the working splints section. I have used neoprene working ones in the past infrequently. My sister in law swears by hers and buys them from the pharmacist.

They come in different sizes so take a tape measure!

Best of luck

Toni xx
  • Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options
    i used to use the neoprene versions but found them ineffective as the osteoarthritis in my thumbs especially received no benefit from them, a friend recommended PUSH braces (can be found at: https://www.push.eu/products/hand-braces/push-ortho-thumb-brace-cmc ) so I bought a pair and they are brilliant. I wear them all the time when out and about especially and they stop that sudden pain when you catch your thumb on things. I had them on when visiting my OT at the hospital to fit a new neck brace and she remarked that she though they were good and received lots of positive comments from the patients she had issued them to! I hadn't previously been told that they could be issued! At least she said if and when they wear out go back to see her and she will give me another pair - wish I had known before as it would have saved me the best part of £90!