Autoimmuners beware salt!

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 8. Apr 2019, 15:43 in Living with arthritis
http://tinyurl.com/yyqmuqtb

This is a reliable piece of research quoted in a reliable source.

Even if you don't think you eat much salt it is a hidden, unsuspected presence in all sorts of things if we just read the labels

I stopped eating it some years ago when I was - mistakenly, it turned out - diagnosed with osteoporosis. Certainly, in recent years, my RA is better than it was though I can't say for sure that is why. But I have high blood pressure anyway so I've never gone back to salt.

At first I thought I'd never be able to not use it on the few occasions I eat chips or jacket potatoes but our palates change and adapt. I used to love Californian olives whenever we went there but now all I can taste is salt. I rarely eat crisps but salt and vinegar ones are completely out. Yuk! I steam veg and this gives them much more flavour without salt.

People are often keen to take herbal remedies and supplements but they can cause just as many problems as pharmaceutical ones. This is such an easy thing to do and, though we all need a very small amount of salt in our diet, we all, in the west, eat far too much anyway. Why not suck it (or not, as the case may be :wink: ) and see.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Thank you for this, it raises an interesting point. I like to think I don't eat much salt but, given the choice of sweet or savoury, I would opt for the latter so I probably eat far more than I realise. 'Cheese o'clock' strikes most afternoons between four and six when I HAVE to eat a small chunk of strong cheddar Stilton. We do not cook with salt, neither do we add it to our meals when served but I am sure cheese o'clock is not a habit, it is my body hinting it needs a hit of sodium. Being a hot sweaty woman may contribute to this . . . . DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    i don't eat much cheese. My dodgy stomach won't tolerate much fat of any kind but, if I do, it's either cheddar or stilton, probably two of the worst culprits. However, perfection is so overrated :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    I gave up adding salt to food in 1995 when I had my eldest prematurely. I never eat 'ready meals' they are full of the stuff aren't they?

Interesting link though....

Toni xxx m0150
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    That’s interesting, thank you for sharing. I am encouraged to have a high salt diet as my blood pressure drops when I stand and I faint. I may have a look at seeing what else I can do as my RA inflammation is really bad at the moment.