Eye plugs.

Becky88
Becky88 Member Posts: 96
edited 7. Apr 2019, 03:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
Once again, I am looking to everyone out there to see if you can offer me any advice.

I have recently found out that my RA is affecting my eyes. The eye consultant said that it has made the tissue dry and is causing very dry eyes. It has also caused a corneal erosion. I am currently controlling this with hourly eye drops but he has suggested eye plugs as something that I could possibly try.

So.. I was just wondering if anybody out there has any experience of RA affecting their eyes? Also, if anybody has tried eye plugs, would it be possible to share your experience with them, (i.e whether you have found them useful, painful, etc).

Many thanks.

Comments

• BettyMac
    BettyMac Member Posts: 201
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Becky88

Dry eyes are not much fun.

I don’t have any personal experience of eye plugs so can’t help with that but, hopefully, there’ll be someone along soon who can help.
    Might it be worth attending an appointment with ophthalmology to discuss the pros and cons before you make a decision?

My husband has one dry eye, for which he uses lubricating eye drops several times a day. Luckily, he doesn’t have my arthritic fingers - because the eye drop bottles are sometimes a bit fiddly to use.
    He had a tumour in the lacrimal gland which had to be removed, hence the lack of tears.

Good luck!
  • Becky88
    Becky88 Member Posts: 96
    Many thanks for your reply.
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Unfortunately secondary Sjogren's Syndrome is all too common. Dry eyes is one of the usual manifestations as is dry mouth, but - as I've found out myself over the last 30 years - it can have awful effects. The following website might help, there are downlodable articles with loads of information. https://www.bssa.uk.net/

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• MrDJ
    MrDJ Member Posts: 273
    think ive been abducted by aliens as ive not been on since September 2017 oopps! my bad.

evening all.
    @Becky
    long story short, yes arthritis can cause dry eyes and no two people are alike.
    sadly when it first affected me back in 1987 there was not a lot of checks on OA/RA and eyes. that all changed thanks to me and due to my very rare conditions it was documented and added to quite a few medical journals and the holy bible which is BNF.

i wont go into all the gory details but will comment on eye plugs :?:
    ive never heard of them.
    what i do use sometimes which was recommended by the eye hospital which is good for dry eyes and bletheritis (sore eyelids) is a heatable eye mask. i use this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eye-Doctor-Essential-Blepharitis-Microwave/dp/B07KSJCY1R/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2W5E0H0NCPCK3&keywords=eye+mask+heated+for+dry+eyes&qid=1554318249&s=gateway&sprefix=eye+mask,aps,152&sr=8-7
    it was £20 when i bough it but now £6
    put in microwave for 20-25 seconds (depending on micro wattage) and then lay down with it on for 5-10 minutes.

usually about now is the worst time of year for me as i also suffer with hay fever and it always starts in the eyes. been quite bad today but someone forgot to tell the weather as it was 2 degrees today.

the most important thing though is always have regular eye tests at an optition.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    I also have dry eyes and so the constantly water!!

I used Xailyn at night which makes a huge difference.

Googled eye plugs and am interested myself :!: If you have them will you let us know how you get on?

Toni xx
  • MrDJ
    MrDJ Member Posts: 273
    Xailyn night is what i use in my blind eye all day but i cant use it in good eye as its still a bit oily in the morning and i drive to work. its done the job but still not as good as lacri lube which has been stopped for the past 2 years due to manufacturing problems. wont be available until at least september this year as they are changing the aluminum tube to a plastic and it has to go through testing first.
    its also having a name change to refresh night time.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Xailyn night is what i use in my blind eye all day but i cant use it in good eye as its still a bit oily in the morning and i drive to work. its done the job but still not as good as lacri lube which has been stopped for the past 2 years due to manufacturing problems. wont be available until at least september this year as they are changing the aluminum tube to a plastic and it has to go through testing first.
    its also having a name change to refresh night time.

It is oily! SOOOO oily, but it's the only thing that works for me. When Lacri lube comes back out I will try it thanks :D

Toni x