Painful knee

Daisymae
Daisymae Member Posts: 50
edited 11. May 2019, 06:48 in Living with arthritis
My knee is more painful in certain positions, in some it doesn't hurt at all, hurts more when I bend it, or first thing in morning feels very stiff, is thisvusual

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    It sounds normal for an arthritic knee. (I've had knee replacements.)

I'm guessing your knee is more painful in the morning because it's not been moving much in the night and it hurts to bend it because, in a normal day, we don't bend our knees very much.

I'd refer you back to the exercises link I gave in your previous post. Exercises do help because they keep the muscles strong and supportive.

If you're worried about the pain, though, do go back to your GP.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Daisymae
    Thank you I am continuing with the exercises, do I still do them when they hurt?
  • stickywicket
    It's good that you're doing them. I can't really advise except to say I've always been taught by physios to do the range of movement exercises always and the strengthening ones only when things are 'normally bad' as opposed to flaring. I've also been told that it's normal to go through pain with them but, if the pain lasts for (I can't remember. think it's more than 1/2 hour but don't take my word for that) afterwards then get further medical advice. Good luck. Please let us know how you get on with them. Little and often is better than one long burst per day.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    My knees haven't stopped hurting since 2003 so I can't really help. I know what aggravates them ( everything) and what lessens the pain (rest) but it's good that they're both rubbish as the dross is balanced. I do my various exercises every day to keep my upper leg muscles as strong as possible but, after twenty plus years, I'm used to it all. It must be so much harder when the arthritis is limited and a relatively new experience. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Daisymae
    Living with painful knees for that long must be very draining, are there any pain killers that actually work?
  • dreamdaisy
    If you mean by 'work' that they remove all pain until the next dose is due then no, none of them do that. I use the term pain dullers because that is what they do, they dull the sharper edges of the pain. The stronger the duller the more you are removed from the pain rather than the pain being removed from you. I take a minimum of four 30/500 cocodamol per day which allows me room to maneouvre when things deteriorate, I can go up to eight per day but I rarely do. On the less worse days I drop to 12.5/500 (I think) which I can buy over-the-counter s that preserves my prescription.

Ongoing pain is debilitating and demoralising, it's something we all share on here and are familiar with. Pain perception is very individual, one man's mild twinge is another's complete agony; I guess it's all down to how efficient one's neural pathways are. I have been in pain for over twenty years and things became easier once it was everywhere but yes, it is draining. I haven't slept properly for years and am permanently tired. I'm used to it. DD
  • Daisymae
    Wondered why knee pain is worse when in bed at night, yesterday my knee was ok during the day but as soon as I got into bed the pain started.
  • dreamdaisy
    It's usual for pain to be more apparent at night: it's dark and quiet, activity has ceased, there is nothing to deflect one's attention. If you are a side-sleeper sleep with a pillow between your knees with the affected knee on the upper side (that way it isn't taking the weight of the other). If you are a back-sleeper sleep with a pillow under both knees. If you are a front sleeper I have no idea because I have never slept that way. Take pain relief around 90minutes before you settle so the edges have been dulled. If woken by pain-breakthrough (and the timing is OK) take some more during the night. DD
  • stickywicket
    Hi tiptop6961 and welcome to the forum :)

It sounds as if you might have knee pain. This can be caused by gout but also by other types of arthritis as well as other conditions.

Would you like to let us know a bit more about yourself and your pain? Maybe we can help.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Tiptop's post has vanished and daisymae's name is in a different colour on the
    LWA title board . . . Mysterious goings on at Arthritis Mansions . . ? :lol: DD