benepali

vikingqueen
vikingqueen Member Posts: 17
edited 12. Apr 2019, 16:01 in Living with arthritis
good afternoon to you all, can anyone tell me if benepali injection pens are as easy as the methotrexate ones, looks like it will be added in to my long list of medication next month :roll: many thanks in advance

Comments

• BettyMac
    BettyMac Member Posts: 201
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Vikingqueen

I’m on both methotrexate and Benepali.

The pen mechanisms are slightly different.
    Personally, I find the MTX easier. You get the pen in position and then press the button to fire the needle. I find it generally painless.

With Benepali, you push the pen against the skin until the needle fires. There’s a click - and then, a short while later, there’s a second click and you count fifteen seconds from that to allow the drug to be delivered.

I’m a reformed needle phobic and find the MTX no bother at all - but even after nearly a year, I’ve yet to self-administer the Benepali. My husband’s become really good at it though so I get him to do it for me each week. I find the belly is the best place to have it - and save my thighs for the MTX.

Benepali has been hugely beneficial for me. I feel I have my life back.
  • vikingqueen
    thank you for your reply, why is nothing simple when we have ra :roll: i too hate needles but i have my mtx off to a fine art.. looks like my other half will be helping for the foreseeable future. :)
  • BettyMac
    BettyMac Member Posts: 201
    Good luck!

I hope the Benepali makes a big difference for you too.

The only downside is that you become more susceptible to germs - and tend to get a nasty dose of you catch something.

I’ve taken the advice of others on here and now carry and use hand gel when I’m out and about.
    Unfortunately, I also have to avoid my darling grandchildren for a few days if they’re lurgified.
  • vikingqueen
    i have 5 grandchildren and there is always one of them with a snotty nose... :lol: how do you not give cuddles though, surgical mask it is then... :roll:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I shall shortly be taking imraldi which is a new mechanism to me: stretch the skin and push the pen rather than pinch and press the button at the top. I can't see it causing any trouble with its administration but I am fortunate in that even though my fingers and hands are affected by both the PsA and OA I still retain good use of my digits. Good luck with the benepali, I hope it helps. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben