Newbie Feeling sorry for herself [emoji3]

CupidStunt47
CupidStunt47 Member Posts: 2
edited 29. Apr 2019, 06:37 in Living with arthritis
Hi everyone,
Have enjoyed reading the posts so far. Very small back story. I’m a 47 year old full time police officer suffering crippling OA since I was 42.
So today I had a MTP fusion on my left foot. Now the joy of the general if wearing off it hurts like crazy! It’s the second round of surgery I’ve had on this joint and the adjoining toes but the OA seems to be galloping.
Anyone here had this and what was the healing time? It’s day one and I’m stir crazy. Any tips appreciated.
Annie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi cupidstunt
    Welcome to the forum,sorry you are in a lot of pain at the moment we understand what you are going through as everyone here has a form of arthritis and in degrees of pain.Everyone has a way of dealing with pain,I can zone out by listening to music or a good book,but not everyone is like me and so use different techniques. Just get chatting on our forum the most popular forums are Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat ,you will soon get answers
    All the best Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I am sorry you have had to find us. I am an arthritic of some years standing and a veteran of many operations; healing time is always longer than we think it should be, than we want or think we can tolerate. Wounds do not heal from the inside-out so once the surface is healed that means nothing: the inside is still raw, friable and tender. Us patients, however, see that the outside is done and think 'Whooopee!' and start doing stuff we shouldn't. We all do it, it's human nature (never forget that humans are, when it comes to post-op stuff, fundamentally impatient and stupid creatures, especially those who are used to being active).

Think in terms of weeks rather than days. If you have had a similar surgery then you already know it's not a rapid process, it takes years for us to reach the stage of surgery and then we think in terms of days for healing. Whatever post-op instructions you have been given should be followed, eat well, keep hydrated, strike the balance between rest and exercise and, above all, be a patient patient (the hardest thing of all). If you take the time now you will reap the benefits that are there to be taken: muck it up through impatience and you will gain very little.

I have around forty affected joints, some have psoriatic arthritis, some have osteo and others have both. I live with pain and always will, you get used to it. I keep my pain relief to the minimum, keep as active as I can and distract myself with reading, doing puzzles, starting and not finishing projects such as knitting, crochet and patchwork. I come on here a lot too because it stops me thinking about myself: if you focus in the pain the more you will feel it. I have always led a life limited by poor health (it all properly fell apart aged 8, I am now 60) so am very rarely stir crazy, I am used to keeping myself occupied and don't need others to provide distractions. For those who have not had my experiences I have no idea how hard it must be but the time will pass and dig deep, you might find something in yourself that you had no idea existed. Good luck. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Hi,
    I went diwn tge same route as you but a shade earlier in age, I was retired from yhe job at 44, about two years after the op. Basically you may have to find something else to do with your life, its not all bad. If you do end up retiring early then you have to be careful about friends, the further you get from the job the further you get from friends and the type of life you led when in reality you need to keep a social life going.

Good ouck
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, how are things going? Is being a patient patent getting any easier? I hope so because it is the better option. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben